Camelot is the court of the mythical British King Arthur. The same saga renames many people who should have lived on this farm.
History and locations
The author of the original Arthurian manuscript, Geoffrey of Monmouth, called as the residence of King Arthur, the Welsh village of Caerleon, near which the Roman settlement Isca Silurum located ( at Newport ); Monmouth interpreted the ruins of the ancient amphitheater as Camelot. However, in the original version of the name "Camelot " is not mentioned. This first appeared in the late 12th century in the writings of the French poet Chrétien de Troyes on.
1542 brought the English writer John Leland Cadbury Castle as Camelot in conjunction with the Arthurian legend. He wrote: " ... The people can participate nothing here but thatthey have heard say Arthur much resortet to Camalat. " Local legends tell of haunting Arthurian spirit, which is to drive at night on the loose in the area. The size of the ramparts as well as valuable, there excavated sherds indicate a rich and powerful lords, which indeed confirms the thesis, but does not prove. The result is the refuge already in the Iron Age; in the 5th century it has been re-attached.
Was also identified as Camelot today's town of Colchester. Accordingly, the castle name of the Roman Camulodunum name derives. Again, there is no clear evidence. Camelot is furthermore associated with Tintagel Castle in Cornwall in conjunction and considered the birthplace of King Arthur. Near the castle is a stone with the inscription " Arthur " was found. Other places where Camelot is suspected, eg, Carlisle, Dinas Bran, the Welsh ruins to Viroconium and Winchester. The latter was identified in the 15th century by Thomas Malory with Camelot.