The municipality covers 33 km ², the population density is about 132 inhabitants / km ². The community is located about 30 km southeast of Perugia on the rivers Clitunno, Teverone and Topino. The municipality is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone D, GR 1985 / G. It belongs to the Comunità montana Community dei Monti Martani, Serano e Subasio.
The only hamlet ( Frazione ) is Collemancio.
The Romans called Lacus Umber, was the place in 1162 by the Count Valerio Conte Ranieri, who fled from Frederick I of Perugia. The name comes from the Italian word Canna (German giant reed or cane ). In the 13th century it was a separate municipality and imputed to Perugia to find in front of Assisi protection. Here Perugia broke the siege of the town by Assisi 1291st The city walls were built of Perugia in 1380. In 1424 the church fief of the Baglioni family until 1648, after which the place was part of the Papal States until 1861. According to the unification of Italy in 1861, the population of about 2400 rose to 3850 in 1951. According to recent low in the 1970s the population grew by 2010 to approximately 4300 inhabitants.
Collemancio is located at 507 meters and has about 80 inhabitants. The district is (part of Regio VI Umbria of Augustus ), about 5 km southwest of the capital and a few meters away from the ancient city Urvium Hortense. First mentioned in writing was the place in 1224, when Pope Honorius III. the fortified place Collismanci awarded to the Bishop of Assisi. In the 14th century, the Palazzo del Podestà was built in 1377 and is imputed to the place Perugia. Antipope John XXIII. awarded the place in 1413 at the Trinci, where he remained until 1431. The Baglioni family from Montefalco took over in 1436 the fortunes of the town until 1648, which thereafter remained closely connected with continue Montefalco. Since 1870 Collemancio is officially part of the municipality of Montefalco.
The best-known production items of the place is the wine Colli Martani Vernaccia, a DOC wine and onion from Montefalco ( Cipolla di Montefalco ).
- Chiesa della Buona Morte, Church in the town center. Here the legend goes by in 1221 by St. Francis of Assisi the Terz'Ordine FRANCESCANo ( until 1978 Terzo Ordine FRANCESCANo (TOF ) below) of the SFO.
- Chiesa di San Biagio, 1244 already mentioned church.
- Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista, already in 1333 documented church. If the work contains Madonna con Bambino Gesù san fra Giovanni Battista e san Sebastiano by Nicolò Pupil ( 1482 arose, paintings on wood).
- Chiesa di San Matteo parrocchiale, church from the 13th century, redesigned from 1788 to 1793. If the work contains Madonna in trono con Gesù Bambino tra san Francesco d' Assisi e san Matteo evangelista of Nicolò Alunno.
- Chiesa di San Sebastiano, already mentioned church in 1184
- Teatro Ettore Thesorieri 1767 built as Teatro del Leone theater. 1901 by Ettore Thesorieri ( born June 6 1553 Andria, † November 25, 1638 in Montefalco ) named.
- Onion Festival ( Festa della cipolla ) shall be held in September in honor of the local patron saint San Matteo.
- Festa di San Biagio, festival in honor of Blaise of Sebaste on 3 February.
- Montalto Dora, Torino Province, Piedmont, Italy