Capri is an Italian island rocks (limestone) in the Gulf of Naples. It is 10.4 km2 and is known for the caves by the sea. The most famous cave is the so-called Blue Grotto. The highest point on the island is 589 m above the sea of Monte Solaro. Capri has a balanced, mild climate. The evergreen vegetation is supplemented by cultures terrace with wine, oil and fruit trees. Main source of income is the year-round tourism since the 19th century. The island is located just five kilometers from the mainland and part of the province of Naples.
- 8.1 Known Capresen
The South Capris is formed by a steeply into the Tyrrhenian Sea terminating ridge. The highest mountain is 589 m of Monte Solaro. Other mountains are Mount Capello (514 m) north of the Monte Tiberio (335 m) on the northeast tip of the island of Monte Passignano (266 m) in the southeast and the Monte Michele ( 262 m) on the northern edge of Capri Town. Through its steep Ostabfall the massif of Monte Solaro and Monte Capello divides the island into a western and an eastern part.
The near-surface geological subsoil consists mainly of limestone, which was formed during the Cretaceous period. Due to the limestone Capri is rich in karst forms. The Blue Grotto, a sea cave, which is the best known. To the east of the island is a natural stone arch.
The vegetation of the island of Capri is maquis, which consists mainly of rosemary and mastic. In places, holm oak forests have been preserved.
Archaeological finds from the Grotta delle Felci ( Farngrotte ) are evidence of a settlement of the island since the Paleolithic. Emperor Tiberius chose in the year 26 AD Capri seat of his government and spent there till his death in 37 AD, much of his last years in the Villa Jovis, which was over a vertical drop of rocks. The reasons for this step are controversial among historians. The main sources for the biography of Tiberius, the ancient writers Suetonius and Tacitus. They claim that the Emperor had retired to Capri, to better indulge his lusts in seclusion can (described by Suetonius extensively ). Perhaps weariness in government affairs in Rome and distrust of the political forces in the capital was his motive. Anyway, in this way, the small island of Capri eleven year reign seat of the Roman Empire, and this is due to a conscious decision of the emperor. A total of twelve villas Tiberius is said to have possessed ( according to Suetonius ) on Capri, apply in addition to the Villa Jovis today the Villa Damecuta and the so-called Palazzo al mare than Tiberian villas. From the 7th century AD comes a built of large stones in Capri town wall that was built to protect the Sarazeneneinfällen. The town of Capri grew by two medieval city centers. In the north, a district developed since the 11th century to the chapel Maria delle Grazie. Another neighborhood built in the 13th century the Case Grandi, the big houses.
Already in the 18th century, Villa Jovis was robbed by excavations of the Austrian Norbert Hadrawa their treasures and objects scattered to the four winds ( most famous pieces: the so-called " Capri " altar now in the British Museum in London, and a large mosaic floor in the Museo di Capodimonte in Naples). Today the most important archaeological site on Capri is the Villa Jovis. It lies at the eastern end of the island, in about an hour's walk from the Piazzetta to reach out to Capri. Let Archaeological traces suggest that Tiberius has already known and also visited the Blue Grotto.
In the second half of the 19th century, Capri was popular as a winter and holiday accommodation in German and other artists, writers and other celebrities. For a long time remained, inter alia, Friedrich Alfred Krupp, Christian Wilhelm Allers, Rainer Maria Rilke, Maxim Gorky, Emil von Behring, Theodor Däubler, Karl Wilhelm Diefenbach, Curzio Malaparte, Axel Munthe, and Norman Douglas. Ferdinand Gregorovius visited the island in 1853 and remained one month. In addition, he reported in detail. German Visitors then met often at the Hotel Pagano or the local Zum Kater Hiddigeigei. In 1899 the Germans built even its own church, which still exists today " German Evangelical Church " on Capri. They have a private cemetery was established by members of the foreign colony: the still existing " Cimitero acattolico " on which over 200 people of non- Catholic denominations were buried.
The village is situated on the slopes in the central eastern part of the island of Capri. The houses are divided on the central square, the Piazzetta, from the Via Roma and Via Camerella out the main shopping streets. The center and the south of the town are characterized by large hotel complexes. Two roads connect the site each with many switchbacks to the two ports of Marina Grande in the North and Marina Piccola in the south. A large part of the southern center also takes the Carthusian a ( Certosa). The access road to Anacapri winds in the north to the central Bergmassif ( Monte Solaro ). Capri has 7285 inhabitants (as at 31 December 2007). Attractions in the municipality are:
- Arco Naturale
- Giardini Augusto
- Grotta Matermania
- Via Krupp
- Ruins of the Villa Jovis of Tiberius
- Villa Malaparte
- Villa Lysis of Baron heels
- Certosa ( monastery ) with Museo Diefenbach
- German Evangelical Church
- Church of San Costanzo
- Church of Santo Stefano
Anacapri is the capital of West Island. Main roads leading from there to Punta Carena and the lighthouse Faro di Carena at the southwest corner and the Blue Grotto in the northwest of the island. Anacapri has 6554 inhabitants (as at 31 December 2007).
Attractions ( municipality Anacapri ):
- Blue Grotto
- Le Boffe
- Monte Solaro
- Villa San Michele ( house of the doctor and writer Axel Munthe )
- Church of San Michele ( 1719)
On the island, driving is only allowed for Capresen between spring and late autumn. You can take a taxi, the Funicular use ( a funicular ) or one of the buses.
From Anacapri since 1952 there is a chairlift to Monte Solaro.
Between the island and the mainland there are many boat connections. Large ferries are cheaper than small, fast hydrofoils. Nearest port is Sorrento, there are also ferry connections to Naples, Ischia and (more rarely ) to the ports of the Amalfi Coast. The nearest airport is Naples Airport.
The island of Capri from the northeast seen (2005)
Landmark Capris: The Faraglioni (2004)
Restored part of the Villa Jovis (2005)
The Blue Grotto from the inside
The Arco Naturale, a natural stone arch on the east coast of Capri
The funicular railway from the port to the city
The Via Krupp
- After the island of Capri, a model of Ford Motor Company was named, see Ford Capri.
- After the island of Capri the appetizer salad Caprese was named.
- Torta Caprese in Italy is the name of a chocolate cake.
- The brand name of the fruit juice drink Capri Sun was also based on the island.
- The ice cream maker since 1959 Lagnese uses the name Capri for a sorbet.
- The German hit " Capri Fischer " was very popular in the 1950s.