Carfax, Oxford

The Carfax Tower in Oxford was built as a tower of St. Martin's Church around 1032. During the 1818 converted church in 1896 a road widening had to give way, the tower remained as the only relic available. His name has the tower from the French carrefour (Latin quadrifurcus ), which as much as four ways, ie Means crossing. The Carfax Tower thus forms the center of the city. He has hit a clock from the 14th century, at the splendid figures in Roman uniforms the quarter hour. Since 1999, the Carfax for general traffic except for buses and taxis is closed.