Castel del Piano

Castel del Piano is a municipality with 4654 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in the province of Grosseto the Italian region of Tuscany.


The site extends over some 68 km ². It is located about 60 km northeast of Grosseto, 130 km south of Florence and 70 km to the west by the Tyrrhenian Sea in the southern part of the Val d' Orcia. The Monte Amiata is located about ten kilometers away. The place is part of the Comunità montana dell'Amiata Grossetano and is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in Zone E, ​​2199 GG.

The village lies on the rivers Orcia (7 km in urban areas ), duck (6 km in urban areas ), Vivo (1 km in urban areas ) and Zancona (3 out of a total of 17 km in the urban area ).

Its neighborhoods include Montegiovi (535 m, about 170 inhabitants) and Monte Nero d' Orcia ( 388 m, 250 inhabitants).

The neighboring municipalities are Abbadia San Salvatore ( SI), Arcidosso, Castiglione d' Orcia (SI), Cinigiano, Montalcino (SI ), Santa Fiora and Seggiano.


The community was first historically documented on 27 August 890 under the name " Casale Plana " in correspondence of the Abbey Amiata. In 1175 the castle was built, now and later called Castrum Castrum Plana de Plano. From 1175 to 1331 the site was owned by the Aldobrandeschi and then after siege by Guidoriccio da Fogliano conquered by the Republic of Siena. After the defeat of the Sienese Republic in 1555 against the Republic of Florence, the city also fell to the Duchy of Tuscany.


  • Chiesa della Parish of the Nativity of the Madonna (also Chiesa dell'Opera ), the 17th- century church, which contains the works of Santa Caterina d' Alessandria ed altri Santi, Nativity of Mary and Pietà o su Cristo Morto Compianto by Giuseppe Nicola Nasini and by Domenico Manetti the work of San Cerbone propizia la vittoria del generale Tommaso Cerboni ( canvas painting, created around 1642 ).
  • Chiesa della Madonna delle Grazie church in the center of the 18th century, which was created over a chapel from the early 16th century. Contains the work of the Madonna del Carmine Francesco Nasini ( canvas painting, created in 1652 )
  • Chiesa del Sacramento, already mentioned in 1216 in the village church.
  • Chiesa di San Leonardo, built around 1188 in the village church
  • Chiesa di Santa Lucia, 1676 mentioned but probably much older church just outside the village.
  • Chiesa di San Biagio a Gravilona, already mentioned church in 1188 just outside the village.
  • Chiesa di San Martino church in the district Montegiovi has already been mentioned 1302.
  • Chiesa di Santa Lucia church from the 12th century in the village of Monte Nero d' Orcia

Sons and daughters of the town

  • Giuseppe Nicola Nasini

The Palio of Castel del Piano

Similar to Siena ( and other places ) a Palio is held in Castel del Piano annually, which is run with horses in Piazza Garibaldi. They embark on the four Contraden ( districts ) of the historic center, including Borgo, Monumento, Poggio and Storte, against each other. Before each race also takes place Corteo storico ( historic procession ) (as in Siena).

Origins of the Palio of Castel del Piano

The first horse race took place on September 9, 1402 instead of the Fiera di Merci e Bestiame, when the community was under the control of the Republic of Siena. From 1431 up to the task of this tradition in the Middle Ages the Palio of Maria Santissima delle Grazie took place on 8 September, in honor of the namesake, through the legend after 4 soldiers from Castel del Piano on September 8, 1430 by an apparition of Mary to were saved from death.

Revival of Palios 1771

The Palio was revived by a decision of a delegation on July 14, 1765. The first race race was held under the new rules on July 7, 1771. Here, neighborhoods outside the historic city walls were allowed to participate. So this race was won by Monte Nero district. This form of Palios was maintained until the early 20th century. After the First World War found on horse races take place on the Corso Garibaldi, but without involvement of the contrada.

Today's Palio

1967, the conditions of participation for the Palio of Castel del Piano was further amended by a decision of the City Council. Thus, since 1968 occurred only four Contraden the historic old town ( Borgo, Monumento, Poggio and Storte ) against each other. The first Palio under new rules was on 9 September 1968 by the contrada Monumento with the rider ( Fantino ) Pieraccini ( called Bubbolino ) won on the horse Leda. The last way past Palio (2009 ) won the Contrada Borgo with G.Mureddu ( called Filuferru ) with the horse Iolao.