Cavergno was until October 22, 2006, a municipality in the district Rovana, in the district of Valle Maggia the canton of Ticino in Switzerland.
- 4.1 municipal
- 4.2 Ortsbürgergemeinde
Cavergno located 29 km north- west of Locarno in the Maggia Valley. The town lies on the merger of the Val Bavona and Val Lavizzara. From the former municipality of nearly 55 square miles and the majority of mountains and waters is ( 60.5 %). Other 31.3 % of the area covered woods and forests. Bloss 7.5 % ( in the valley of the Val Bavona ) can be used for agriculture. A fraction of 0.7 % is urbanized area.
For the former municipality included eleven out of the twelve Weiler ( Terre ) of the Val Bavona ( from south to north ): « Mondada ," " Fontana ", " Alnedo ", " Sabbione ", " Ritort » ( Ritorto ), " Foroglio ", " Rosed » ( Roseto ), " Fontanelada » ( Fontanellata ), " Faed " ( Faedo ), " Bolla "," Sonlèrt » ( Sonlerto ).
On October 22, 2006 Cavergno has merged with Bignasco and Cevio Cevio to the community. The already by January 23, 2005 proposed merger had to be postponed because a lawsuit in federal court was still pending. ( Federal Office of Statistics: Announced changes since the mutation Message No. 81 to the Official community directory of Switzerland, Issue January 20, 2006 ), the Board of the municipality Bignasco was dismissed against the forced merger by the Federal Court in April 2006.
Due to the limited economic opportunities began in the 17th century, a first wave of migrants to Italy, a. The great emigration followed in the 18th and especially in the 19th century. For now, to Europe ( Holland and Hungary), and later to Australia. From 1801 to 1850, the population still increased ( from 1801 to 1850: 8.9 %). By 1920 they then declined through emigration overseas and in the industrial areas of the canton of Ticino strong ( 1850-1920: -21.1 %). But the number of emigrants was relatively low compared to other communities in the Maggia valley. The main reason was the early stages of development job opportunities in quarries. By 1970, the population grew to a new high of ( 1920-1970: 42.3 % ), due to the construction of hydroelectric power plants. Since then, a slight decrease in population occurred (1970-2004: -4.9 %), which has stopped again.
The locals speak very own Italian dialect. The vast majority of the inhabitants speak Italian as their main language. At the last census in 2000, there were 92.74 % of the population. In addition, gave 2.99% German and Serbo-Croatian at 1.92% as the main language.
Religions - faiths
In earlier times the entire population of the Roman Catholic Church was a member. Due to immigration from other regions in Switzerland and abroad and leaving the church, this has changed. Today ( as of 2000) are 86.75 % and 2.35 % Roman Catholic Evangelical Protestant Christians. In addition, one finds 5.34% and 2.14 % non-religious Muslims. The Muslims are almost all immigrants from Bosnia- Herzegovina. 3.42 % of residents refused to specify their religious beliefs.
Origin - Nationality
From the end of 2004 486 inhabitants were 460 ( = 94.65 %), Swiss citizen. At the last census, 93.16 % were Swiss citizens ( among them seven dual citizen ). The largest immigrant groups come from Italy, Bosnia - Herzegovina and Serbia - Montenegro.
The council consists of five members. These are:
- Alfredo Martini ( mayor )
- Renato Lampert (Vice President)
- Remy Dalessi
- Romano Dalessi
- Marcello Tonini
- President: Andrea Dalessi
Previously lived the farmers of livestock (mainly goats and sheep) and from agriculture. Due to the limited arable land young people already migrated in earlier centuries as seasonal workers to Holland. In the 19th century was followed by a mass exodus to California. In 1970, worked for a small majority of people working in their own community. Today ( as of 2000) working of the 179 workers only 58 ( = 32.4 %) in their own community. Of the 121 Wegpendlern almost half (52 people) working outside of the Maggia Valley in Locarno, Ascona and Losone. Cavergno provides 85 jobs, of which 58 are occupied by locals. Agriculture is no longer relevant. About 90 % of workers now work in industry, trade and service occupations.
Cavergno is by means of the postal routes Bignasco San Carlo and Bignasco - Peccia -Fusio - but especially the line 10 of the FART Locarno Bignasco - Cavergno - connected to the network of public transport.
However, the majority of the population uses private transport as the road is safe for winter to Locarno.
- Emilio Zanini, narrator, his own creation is " La mort dlu mari" (1897, The death of the husband ). Carlo Salvioni published in the " Archivio italiano glottologico " a study of the texts.
- Gianfredo Camesi, painter and sculptor.
- Parish church of Saint Anthony of Padova
- Oratorio San Luigi Gonzaga, built (1883/1884)
- Old houses in the district, " Presa " (1280 ) and the 16th century, but already abandoned in the 18th century
The regional long-distance trail Sentiero Cristallina ( signposted walking route No. 59 ) leads over 41 km in the three stages of Airolo ( Bedrettotal ) to Bignasco or vice versa. The path runs along the section from Foroglio after Mondada the well-signposted transhumance - themed ( Percorso della Transumanza ).