Celbridge (Irish Cill Droichid " Church at the bridge " ) is an Irish city on the Liffey. Politically, it is part of County Kildare in the province of Leinster. The distance to the capital Dublin is about 22 km ( 13 miles). At the 2011 Census Celbridge had 15,312 inhabitants, making it the third largest city in Kildare.

As part of the Dublin Metropolitan Area and the Greater Dublin Area Celbridge has expanded substantially in recent years.


The name is derived from the Irish Cill Celbridge Droichid, which translates as " Church at the bridge " means. In some cases you will also find the form Kildrought in English.

The city Kildrought (or Kildroighid ) developed around an early 13th century by Thomas de Hereford, founded factory.

The houses in the city center made ​​over a period of about 200 years, starting with the Celbridge Abbey, which was built in 1703 by Bartholomew Van Homrigh. 1709 bought William "Speaker " Conolly the estate of Thomas Dongan, built his own villa and left the urban development Protestant volunteers who had followed him after Celbridge. Their wages were guaranteed under the condition that they built stone houses with gable roofs.

The development of the main road began in 1720 when Robert Baillie was built by the Kildrought House. Today's St. Raphael's Hospital was built in 1724 by Arthur Price, when he was Bishop of Meath. The former Collegiate School in Clane Road was built in 1732 by the architect Thomas Burgh, of the Royal Barracks and the library of Trinity College (both in Dublin) created equally. The Collegiate School was founded as a charity school and served until 1972 as a Protestant boarding school for girls. Today, located in the building, the Setanta Hotel. The Good Mills, built by Laurence Atkinson 1805 and restored in 1985, now houses a community center.

Other sights include the Roman Catholic Church from 1857, the monastery of Holy Faith ( 1877) and Christ Church (1884 ) Church of Ireland, which still contains the tower of an earlier church from 1813. The first parish church in Celbridge was built in the 14th century and burned down in 1798. She stood in the Tea Lane cemetery today. The House Main Street 22 was, for a time, occupied by Richard Guinness and his sons Arthur, founder of the Guinness brewery, and Samuel.

In the early 20th century was based in Celbridge, the Callender Paper Company, which manufactured from peat paper.

Castletown House

The Castletown House is one of Ireland's most famous country houses in the style of the Palladian. It is an imposing building, which was in 1722 by the Speaker of the House, William Conolly ( 1662-1729 ) built. Tom Connolly inherited the house in 1758 and his wife, Lady Louisa, completed the interior decoration during the 1760's and 1770 's.

The villa contains the Long Gallery, a 24.4 meter (80 foot) long room, decorated in pompejischem blue and gold, as well as the cantilevered main staircase of white Portland stone.



The rapid growth of the city brought traffic problems, especially since there is only one bridge over the Liffey. Therefore a connection to the M4 motorway and to the Irish Intel plant in 2003 was created with the Celbridge Interchange.

The management of the County Kildare installed 2000, some traffic lights at the junction of the Liffey bridge and Main Street, while there have been successful protests by the local businessmen: Traffic lights were switched off again.


Celbridge is served by Dublin Bus with the lines 67, 67A and 67X. These bus routes connect the city with the center and with the nearby towns of Lucan and Maynooth.

Other bus companies connect with Celbridge Dublin. The route leads through Ballsbridge, Dundrum and Nutgrove.


Broad Iarnród Éireann stop at the station in Hazel Hatch, which is about three kilometers away from Celbridge. Shuttle buses take travelers to the train station.

As part of Transport21 the route is electrified to open a new DART line on Celbridge after Balbriggan. Completion is scheduled for 2015.


Celbridge has six elementary schools, one special school ( Saint Raphael ), two secondary schools (St. Wolstans Community School for Girls ( the only school with an all female school community in Ireland) and Salesian College for boys ). The Glebe Primary Montessori School Celbridge has since 1978 on one of the few Montessori schools in Ireland. Furthermore, here is the North Kildare Educate Together School to find ( NKETS ).


Celbridge is located in the constituency of Kildare North, which sends four deputies to the Dáil Éireann. It was initially a three Mandates constituency, due to population increase, however, a fourth mandate has been introduced.

Although municipalities with more than 7,500 inhabitants actually have a city council, there is no such body in Celbridge.


Celbridge GAA is the third oldest club in County Kildare, was established on August 15, 1885.

Ballyoulster United and Celbridge Town AFC are the two main football clubs in Celbridge.

The Celbridge Paddlers are a club that offers a variety of water sports.

Sons and daughters of the town