Cerreto di Spoleto
The municipality covers 75 km ². The municipality is situated approximately 60 km south-east of Perugia on the rivers Nera, Corno, Tissino and Vigi on the hill of San Sebastiano on the opposite side of the Monte Maggiore ( 1428 m, separated by the Valle del Vigital Vigi ) and near the Monte Galloro ( 1209 m), Mount Motillo (708 m) and Mount Lo Stiglio (864 m). The municipality is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone E, 2355 GR / G.
The districts are Borgo Cerreto, Bugiano, Colle Soglio, scrub, Nortosce, Ponte, Rocchetta and Triponzo.
- Borgo Cerreto district at 357 meters above sea level just below the historic Old Town ( 557 m) at the confluence of the Nera and Vigi.
- Bugiano, also Buggiano written or called Il Contado ( The county). The district was created in the 16th century on the river Vigi 1979 and suffered damage from an earthquake.
- Nortosce, the district with castle from the 13th century at 851 meters above sea level.
- Ponte, the district at 441 meters above sea level. Comes from the time of the Lombards as a watch over the Neratal. The name comes from a Roman bridge.
- Rocchetta Rocchetta di Cerreto or, in the district of Tessinotal (Valle del Tessino, sometimes also called Tissino ) at 793 meters above sea level. The place name comes from the term Rocca ( fortress or castle ), the fort itself was once called Rocca Oddi.
- Triponzo, the district at the confluence of the Nera and Corno with castle from the 13th century. The village lies at 420 meters above sea level and suffered severe damage in 1997 when an earthquake occurs. The place name derives from Tre Ponti ( Three Bridges ). Just outside are the thermal baths of Bagni di Triponzo.
The village was founded by the Roman Republic and the legions of Manius Curius Dentatus about 290 BC At the time of the Lombards of Cerreto Gastalde the present hamlet of Ponte was. To protect against the Saracens, the place surrendered in 1221 the Count of Spoleto. At this time the castle ( Castello) was born in the old town today. To disconnect from Spoleto to Cerreto turned together with the Ponte 1442 Francesco I Sforza, the independence but was prevented by the Papal States under the help of Niccolò Niccolo. In subsequent years, the place was in permanent conflict to Norcia and remained until 1569 when the Papal States. Then the town of Norcia was administered. By the Napoleonic occupation, the administration went briefly back to Spoleto, then the place was a separate municipality. After the unification of Italy, the population of about 1900 increased to over 2,300 inhabitants in 1921, after which the place experienced a decline in population that adheres currently about 1200 inhabitants.
Naming and Nicknames
The place name comes from the word Cerreto Cerro, which refers to the present in the local coat of arms Turkey oak. In addition, the site claims to be, to be the origin of the word charlatan. The origin of the term is a fusion of Demonym Cerretani and the old Italian word ciarlare ( " babble " ) due.
- Chiesa di Santa Caterina church from the 14th century in the district Triponzo.
- Chiesa di San Giacomo, also Monastero di San Giacomo, church and monastery in the lower part of the main resort Cerreto Alto. Originated in the 13th century and is now the headquarters of the organization CEDRAV (Centro per la Ricerca e la Documentazione Antropologica in Valnerina ).
- Chiesa di San Giacomo church in the village of Rocchetta from the 14th century.
- Chiesa di San Lorenzo church on the bank of the Nera in the district of Borgo, which originated in the 13th century and was named until 1804 by St. Francis of Assisi (San Francesco ).
- Chiesa di Santa Maria Annunziata, the main church in the capital, which was created in 1517, an existing already in the 13th century church. The stone portal was 1592 Contains the Canvas Art Madonna del Rosario by Felice Damiani ( Gubbio, 1560-1608 ). , And a stoup from the 1668.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria De Libera, church on the west side of the old town. If the canvas painting " Madonna with Child with Saints Antonio Abate e Lucia " by Felice Damiani.
- Chiesa di Santa Maria di Ponte, also called Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta, in the village of Pieve Ponte, built in the 12th century.
- Chiesa di San Paterniano, Church on the ledge between Cerreto Alto and Borgo, of which only the sacristy and the presbytery is preserved.
- Chiesa di San Pietro church in the district Nortosce from the 14th century.
- Convento della Madonna di Costantino Poli, ex- convent of the 1692.
- Hermitage della Madonna della Stella, Hermitage Museum at the foot of Monte Maggio, which was partially carved into the rock and was abandoned in 1630 by the Augustinian monks again.
- Palazzo Bonifazi, dating from the 17th century on the Piazza Pontano.
- Palazzo Comunale, former Town Hall from the 16th century.
- Torre Campanaria Campanile and later clock tower at the highest point of the village. Was erected in 1452, the movement was installed in 1565. The height of the building is 21 meters.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Giovanni Pontano, representatives of Italian humanism in the 15th century.
- Ludovico Pontano, lawyer