Champ de Mars
The Champ de Mars (Eng. " Field of Mars " ), also known as Parc du Champ de Mars, is an original military and later several times for exhibition purposes utilized Large green area of 24.3 ha today in the 7th arrondissement of Paris. Rises at its northwestern end, near the Seine, as a relic of the 1889 World's Fair, the Eiffel Tower, south-west it is bounded by the Place Joffre and the Avenue de la Motte -Picquet of the École Militaire.
To the north of the Seine, the green area continues almost in the gardens of the Trocadéro.
That until the 18th century agricultural area was expanded after the establishment of the École militaire ( 1765 ) as a parade ground. For this purpose it was leveled and surrounded by a moat and a Ulmenallee. Until 1780 its use was purely military. Was held on July 14, 1790 here the pompous " Atonement " (French Fête de la Fédération ) in the context of the French Revolution take place: Louis XVI. made before 300,000 spectators his oath to the Constitution, read by La Fayette. For this purpose, a separate "Altar of the Fatherland" built. On July 17, 1791 was here the scene of the so-called massacre on the Champ de Mars. On June 8, 1794 Directed by Jacques Louis David " Festival of the Supreme Being " (French Fête de l' Etre suprême ) took place here, the Robespierre presided.
The World's Fairs of 1867, 1878, 1889, 1900 and 1937 used the area. For the first time, the site was used in 1798 for a national industrial exhibition. Here found the fencing competitions of the Olympic Summer Games of 1900. Most architectural remains of several exhibitions, including a large Ferris wheel, but have been removed over time. Given the tremendous development pressure, the Champ de Mars was threatened by the turn of the century in 1900 of acute parcelling but massive protests of citizens' initiatives ensured the continued existence as a green zone.
On 30 March 2000, Jacques Chirac inaugurated a wall of peace, which was designed by the artist Clara holder and the architect Jean -Michel Wilmotte built. It is located opposite the École Militaire.