Charles A. Templeton
Charles Augustus Templeton ( born March 3 1871 in Sharon, Litchfield County, Connecticut; † August 15, 1955 in Waterbury, Connecticut ) was an American politician and governor of the U.S. state of Connecticut. He was a member of the Republican Party.
Early years and political rise
Charles Templeton attended the public schools in Connecticut and the Plain Villes Episcopal School. At the age of 13 he began working as a bookkeeper in a hardware store in Waterbury, whose partner he became later. After he had solved the partnership, he opened his own wholesale and retail with a hardware store. Later, Templeton decided to start as an alderman of Waterbury a political career. He held this position from the early 1900s until 1919. Afterwards, he was from 1919 to 1921 Member of the Senate of Connecticut, as well as a delegate to the Republican National Convention of 1920. Subsequently, he was elected in 1921 to the Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut, a post he held until 1923 held.
Governor of Connecticut
Templeton won the 1922 Governor Republican nomination and was elected governor of Connecticut a short time later. During his tenure, he refused the Republican State Executive Committee the right to call themselves Secretary to the Governor, which estranged him from his party, so he lost the legislative support for his election to a vacancy in the State Superior Court. In an effort to balance the budget, laws were passed that limited the funding of public institutions. It was also prescribed a drastic enforcement of state liquor laws, as well as a draft law that forbade the medical school to have distance learning graduates to practice in the state. Templeton left on January 7, 1925 from his position and withdrew from politics, where he remained active in the community activities.
Later he worked as manager of the St. Marguerite School for Girls, as well as director of Waterbury 's Young Men's Christian Association.
Charles A. Templeton passed away on August 15, 1955, and was buried at the Riverside Cemetery in Waterbury.