Morerod studied Roman Catholic theology at the Swiss University of Fribourg. 1983 joined the Congregation of the Dominican Morerod at. In 1987, he earned a licentiate in theology at Jean -Pierre Torrell, a known Thomists. In 1988 he was ordained priest. From 1987 to 1989 he served pastorally in Geneva in the parish of Saint -Paul. From 1991 to 1994 he was a high school counselor in Freiburg. In 1994 he received his doctorate, his thesis supervisor was Liam Walsh. In the same year he started - on behalf Guido Vergauwens - in Freiburg to lecture theology. In 1996, he earned a licentiate in philosophy at Evandro Agazzi. This was followed by teaching at the Pontifical University of Saint Thomas Aquinas ( Angelicum, 1996), in Lugano (1999-2002 ) as well as in Guam (2007). At the Angelicum, he was Vice Dean of the Faculty of Theology (until 2003 ), Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy ( December 2003-August 2009 ), and since September 2009 as the successor to Joseph Agius its rector. The appointment as full professor on March 30, 2010. In his position as rector of the Angelicums was succeeded on March 26, 2012 Miroslav Adam Konštanc OP.
On November 3, 2011 Pope Benedict XVI appointed. Charles Morerod bishop of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg. The episcopal ordination took place on December 11, 2011 in the St. Nicholas Cathedral in Fribourg by Cardinal Georges Cottier, OP instead. Co-consecrators were the then Prefect of the Congregation of the Faith, Cardinal William Joseph Levada, as well as the Geneva Bishop Pierre Farine.
Since 1997 Morerod acts as editor of the French edition of the philosophical and theological journal Nova et Vetera. He is a consultant to (external experts) of the CDF and member of the Joint International Commission for Theological Dialogue between the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Church ( since 2005), the Pontifical Academy of St.. Thomas Aquinas (since 2008) as well as General Secretary of the International Theological Commission ( since 2008). Since October 2009, he participated in the faith discussions with representatives of the traditionalist SSPX as deputy head of the Roman theologian delegation. He is regarded as an expert of the work and life of Thomas Aquinas and a committed ecumenicist.
On June 12, 2012 was made by Pope Benedict XVI. the appointment to the Congregation for Catholic Education.
- Cajetan Luther et en 1518: Edition, traduction et commentaire of opuscules d' Augsbourg de Cajetan, Cahiers oecuméniques 2002, ISBN 2-8271-0686-8
- La philosophie des religions de John Hick: La continuité of philosophiques principes de la période, Parole et Silence 2006, ISBN 2-84573-416-6
- Ecumenism and Philosophy: Philosophical Questions for a Renewal of Dialogue, Ave Maria University Press 2006, ISBN 1-932589-25-2
- The Church and the Human Quest for Truth ( Introductions to Catholic Doctrine ), Ave Maria University Press 2008, ISBN 1-932589-43-0
- Foi et vérité - Des désirs humains the philosophes à l' existence de l' Eglise - Yat- il de l' amour de Dieu? - Notes sur une grande amitié - La platonisme scientifique de Jean Marvel, Association Nova & Vetera Geneve in 2008, along with Cardinal Georges Cottier, Guy Boissard, Sylvain Guéna, Michel Siggen
- L' Eglise et la recherche de la vérité humaine, Lethielleux 2010, ISBN 2-249-62038-5