Charlotte Angas Scott ( born June 8, 1858 in Lincoln ( Lincolnshire ), England, † November 10, 1931 in Cambridge ) was a British mathematician who worked primarily in the United States. It dealt mainly with algebraic and analytic geometry.
Scott was the daughter of the pastor ( Congregational ), social reformer and President of the Lancashire College Caleb Scott. She attended Girton College at Cambridge University (then initially Hitchin College), where she studied mathematics with a scholarship and also took unofficial to the Tripos examinations in Cambridge in ( she cut than eight best in her year off ), although officially no women were allowed during the tests. When the reading of the audit results, it was not mentioned, but called male students at its rightful place their name ( Scott of Girton ). After that, she taught at Girton College and studied at the same time at the University of London, where in 1882 her bachelor's degree in 1885 and made his doctorate with honors in Arthur Cayley ( D.Sc. ). In the same year she went on the recommendation of Cayley in the U.S. for just newly founded Bryn Mawr College for Women, where she headed the mathematics department. She insisted on strict entrance exams and initiated the establishment of the College Entrance Examination Board, where she was examiner thereafter. In 1909 she was awarded a personal chair in Bryn Mawr.
She was a founding member in 1895 resulting from the New York Mathematical Society American Mathematical Society, the Vice President it was 1905 and whose advice she belonged to several years. In 1899 she was co-editor of the American Journal of Mathematics. She never married, but often visited her relatives in England and went to Bryn Mawr in 1925 officially retired, but still looked after a few years some of their students. She had seven female doctoral students, some of which she sent for additional studies to Göttingen. In retirement, she returned to England and lived in Cambridge.
She was a member of the London Mathematical Society and the German Association of Mathematicians (1898 ), and mathematical societies in Edinburgh and Palermo.