Charmey ( Freiburg Patois Tsêrmê? / I ) until December 31, 2013 Greyerzbezirk municipality in the canton of Fribourg in Switzerland. The German name Galmis is still used in the narrower German neighborhood ( Jaun ). On 1 January 2014 merged with the former rural community Charmey Cerniat the new municipality of Val -de- Charmey.
The community Galmiz in the lake district bears the French name Charmey. She is called to distinguish Charmey ( Lac).
Charmey lies at 887 m above sea level. M., 8 km east of the district main town cop (air line). The village is located on a terrace above the Lac de Montsalvens, the (French: Jogne ) from Jogne is traversed in an open valley, in the Fribourg Pre-Alps.
With an area of 78.4 km ² Charmey is the largest municipality in the canton of Fribourg. The area includes a section of the heavily in relief Fribourg foothills. The central part of the municipal area is occupied by the valley widening of Charmey in which the Lac de Montsalvens is. In this reservoir flows from the north of the creek achievements Javro, which always forms the northwestern border of Charmey. Main tributary of the reservoir is the Jogne which is split with its valley the municipal area into a northern and a southern part.
North of the Jaunbach the communal land on the ridge of the Dent de Vounetz (. 1,813 m above sea level ) and extends Maischüpfenspitz (French: Vanil d' Arpille, 2,085 m asl. ) In the headwaters of the achievements Javro. Also located in the catchment area of the Black Sea Breccaschlund, a aboveground outflow loose, partially embossed by karst fields Alptal surrounded by Les Recardets moutain range ( 1,923 m above sea level. M. ), Schopfenspitz ( 2,104 m above sea level. M. ) and Chörblispitz ( 2,102 m above sea level. M. ), as well as adjacent pastures belong to Charmey.
South of Jaunbach and the Lac de Montsalvens the municipal territory includes the mountain range between the valley of Ruisseau de Motélon the west and the valley of the Ruisseau du Grosmont in the east. Available for sale in the valley of the latter, the alp Gros Mont West is which are the limestone massifs of the Dent de Folliéran ( 2,340 m above sea level. M. ) and the Dent de Brenleire ( 2'353 m above sea level. M. ). The southern boundary runs over the ridges of Vanil Noir ( with 2,389 m above sea level. M. highest elevation of Charmey ), Dent de Savigny ( 2'252 m above sea level. M. ), Dent de Ruth ( 2,236 m above sea level. M. ) and Wandfluh ( 2'133 m above sea level. M. ). The high between Matt ( 2'152 m above sea level. M. ) and the Dent de Ruth lying, extensive Alp Petitmont also belongs to the municipality. From the municipality surface 1997 2 % came from settlements, 35 % of forest and shrubs, 43% to agriculture and around 20% was unproductive land.
To Charmey include the settlements Le Pra ( 878 m above sea level. M. ) west of the village, Liderrey ( 935 m above sea level. M. ) and Les Ciernes (911 m above sea level. M. ) on the Ruisseau de Liderrey on the western slope of Tissiniva, Les Arses numerous scattered individual farms and alpine huts (925 m above sea level. M. ) on the western slope of Vounetz, La Tsintre ( 857 m above sea level. M. ) on Jogne as well. Neighboring communities of Charmey were up on December 31, 2013 Grand Villard, Bas -Intyamon, Gruyeres, Broc, Crésuz, Cerniat, Plaffeien and Jaun in the canton of Fribourg, Saanen in the canton of Bern, and Rougemont and Château d'Oex in the canton of Vaud.
With 1947 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) Charmey belongs to the medium-sized municipalities in the canton of Fribourg. Of the 88.0% inhabitants are French-speaking, German-speaking 7.3 % and 1.7 % portugiesischsprachig (as of 2000). The population of Charmey amounted in 1850 to 852 inhabitants, 1900 to 1247 inhabitants. Then she commuted long time 1140-1340 inhabitants. Only since 1980 (1174 inhabitants) a significant population increase was recorded.
Charmey was until the mid-20th century, a predominantly coined by agriculture village. By the end of the 19th century, the Basketry ( homework ) played a significant role. Even today, the livestock and dairy industry have an important role in the economic structure of the population. Thanks to its large municipal area has Charmey extensive Alpine meadows for summer grazing of livestock. Add the cheese dairies Gruyere cheese and the local cultivar Charmey is made.
More jobs are in small local manufacturing and services available. In addition to the fast moving consumer goods and the wood processing industry of the Charmey is strongly focused on tourism ( hospitality industry, hotel industry, arts and crafts). With the construction of cable cars and ski lifts on the Vounetz the village has seen since the 1960s, an economic boom through tourism ( both summer and winter tourism). Currently, a project is being developed to take advantage of the well-known already in the 18th century thermal baths for beach tourism. In recent decades, the village has developed thanks to its beautiful location and into a residential community. Many workers are therefore commuters who work in the region, Bull.
The community is conveniently technically quite well developed. It lies on the main road from Bulle over the Jaun Pass by Gstaad. By bus Transports Publics Fribourgeois that travel from Bulle to Freiburg via Gstaad and La Roche to Jaun, Charmey is connected to the public transport network.
Various floor and place names suggest that Charmey was already inhabited at the time of the Celts. Charmey means, for example deserted mountain area, Tissiniva has the meaning of new huts. After this period, the area was probably a long time uninhabited until the mid-12th century.
The first written mention of the village was carried out in 1211 under the name Chalmeis. 1294 appeared the name Chermeix; then was called the place Feiguières to 1760. Since its first mention Charmey was under the Lords of Corbières. Also the monastery Valsainte and Hauterive Abbey owned land on communal land. In 1249 a branch line was Charmey seat of the Lords of Corbières, as the rule was divided among three brothers. After this line was extinguished mid-14th century, Charmey was initially managed by a Kastlan.
1454 arrived the village was sold to the county of Greyerz. The financial difficulties of Count Michael von Greyerz led in 1553 to sell the reign Corbières at Freiburg. From then Charmey part of the Bailiwick of Corbières. After the collapse of the ancien régime (1798 ) belonged to the village during the Helvetic Republic to the sub-prefecture Corbières, which was raised in 1803 in the status of a district. 1848 Charmey was incorporated with Corbières in the district of Gruyère.
On 3 March 2013, the citizens approved the merger with the community Cerniat.
- The parish church of Saint- Laurent, mentioned in 1228, is in its present form since the new building during the years 1735-1738; the chancel dates from 1937 and contains stalls from the 17th century. In the village is the home of the Musée du Pays et Val de Charmey.
- In the old town characteristic farmhouses from the 18th and 19th centuries have been preserved.
- Also the hamlet of Les Arses has a group of such wood farmhouses dating from the 18th century.
- Also in Les Arses is a Loreto chapel from 1645.
- Another interesting chapel Notre- Dame-du -Pont -du -Roc, built 1693rd
- Of the former castle Sur la Roche, residence of the lateral line of the Lords of Corbières, a few remains of walls are still visible.
Church with Moléson
Local Typical house
- Jacques Lüthy (* 1959), skier
- Jean -François Rime ( born 1950 ), Swiss politician (SVP )