Charroux is a commune with 1172 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) in the department of Vienne in the Poitou -Charentes; it belongs to the district Montmorillon and Canton Charroux.
In the High Middle Ages Charroux was the capital of the county of La Marche. Here was 989 instead of the Council of Charroux in which, under the patronage of William IV, Duke of Aquitaine and Count of Poitou, the Peace of God was announced.
Coat of arms
Description: In blue a silver miter of three equal -tinged lilies accompanied.
- From the Abbey of Saint- Sauveur de Charroux, one in the year 785 by Roger, Viscount of Limoges, which was founded in 1762 and closed Benedictine Abbey are only preserved residues.