Chaux -des- Crotenay is a commune in the French department of Jura in the Franche -Comté.
Chaux -des- Crotenay is located on 771 m above sea level. M., about ten kilometers south-southeast of the city Champagnole (air line). The farming village extends in the Jura, on a gently sloping hillside to the south on the plateau between the valleys of Lemme in the west and in the east Saine.
The area of 11.67 km ² municipal area includes a portion of the French Jura. The central part of the area occupied by the plateau of Chaux -des- Crotenay (up to 801 m above sea level. M. ), showing a loose structure of grassland and farmland and forest. The northern continuation of this plateau forms the densely wooded knoll landscape of the Bois de Derrière Cornu ( 822 m above sea level. M. ). The high plateau to the east is bordered by deep erosion valley of the Saine ( along the river passes the eastern municipal boundary ) and to the west by the valley of the Lemme. These flows alternately through broad lowlands and narrow, deep, accompanied by rock walls canyons. In the far north- west is the impressive waterfall Cascade de la Billaude. A small proportion of the municipal area is located west of the Valley of Lemme.
South of the plateau of Chaux -des- Crotenay followed by a above ground septic longitudinal trough, which in turn is dominated by the rib area of Rachet, Col du Gyps and Les Epinois. With 859 m above sea level. M. is achieved on a ridge of Les Epinois the highest elevation of Chaux -des- Crotenay.
To Chaux -des- Crotenay addition to the actual site also includes several hamlets, groups of farms and individual farms, including:
- Le Pont de la Chaux (717 m above sea level. M. ) west in a valley widening the Lemme
- Tépette (713 m above sea level. M. ) in a valley widening east of Lemme
- Cornu ( 746 m above sea level. M. ) on the plateau on the southern edge of the Bois de Derrière Cornu
The Church of Chaux -des- Crotenay is first mentioned in the year 855 under the name Krotonacum. In the Middle Ages Chaux -des- Crotenay center of a barony, which was built according to the breakdown of the rule Montrivel. The first castle was built in the 11th century, later altered and destroyed in the 17th century on the orders of Louis XIV. Together with the Franche -Comté came Chaux -des- Crotenay with the Peace of Nijmegen in 1678 to France.
The present parish church of Chaux -des- Crotenay was built on the site of an earlier building in the 15th century and shows gothic style forms; the bell tower was built in the 19th century. The church has a rich interior, including several statues from the 15th and 16th centuries. A chapel from the 18th century is located in the hamlet of Cornu. On the hill southwest of the village the ruins of the medieval castle are obtained, which originally dates from the 11th century, but was rebuilt in the 13th and 14th centuries.
With 407 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) Chaux -des- Crotenay is one of the small towns in the Jura. After the population had decreased significantly in the first half of the 20th century (1891 552 persons were still counted ), it remains at approximately constant level since the early 1990s.
Economy and infrastructure
Chaux -des- Crotenay has long been a predominantly coined by the agriculture and forestry through the village. In the 18th century settled in Le Pont de la Chaux Lemme at the business, which were dependent on hydropower, such as mills, saw mills and tanneries. Today, there are some operations of small businesses. Many workers are also commuters who engage in the larger towns in the vicinity of their work.
The village is located off the major thoroughfares, but is easily accessible from the main road N5, which runs from Champagnole after Morez. Further road links exist with Planches -en- Montagne, Entre -deux- Monts, Le Frasnois and Châtelneuf. Chaux -des- Crotenay by a railway station ( near the hamlet of Le Pont de la Chaux ) on the opened in 1900 the railway line from Champagnole after Morez.
Bief -des- Maisons | Les Chalesmes | Chaux -des- Crotenay | Crans | Entre -deux- Monts | Foncine -le- Bas | Foncine -le-Haut | Planches -en- Montagne
- Commune in the department of Jura
- Place in Franche -Comté