Chieri ( Cher Piedmontese ) is a town with 36 293 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012) in the province of Turin in the Italian region of Piedmont.
The neighboring municipalities are Baldissero Torinese, Pavarolo, Montaldo Torinese, Pino Torinese, Arignano, Andezeno, Pecetto Torinese, Riva presso Chieri, Cambiano, Santena and Poirino. The village lies at an altitude of s.l.m. 305 m.
Chieri was controlled in the 9th and 10th centuries by the Bishops in Turin and became independent in the 11th century. 1347 submitted voluntarily to Count Amadeus VI. of Savoy in order to save themselves from the Margrave of Montferrat. Finally it fell in the 16th century, the House of Savoy. 1785 Chieri was a principality under the Duke of Aosta.
The Gothic Cathedral of Santa Maria della Scala with Baptistery is one of the largest in the Piedmont and built in the years 1405-1436 on the foundations of an older church.
Chieri was an early center for trade and manufacturing. Today wine production. A red wine called Moscato di Chieri is grown here. See also the article viticulture in Italy.
Chieri has twinning closed with
Sons and daughters of the town
- Caterina di Balbiano (1670-1719), Piedmontese - Saxon noblewoman Madame de Brandenburg
- Giuseppe Avezzana (1789-1879), General
- Giovanni Perrone (1794-1876), Roman Catholic theologian, Jesuit and dogmatists
- Mario Ghella ( born 1929 ), cyclist
- Roberto Rosato (1943-2010), football player
- Lars Kraume (* 1973), German film director, producer and screenwriter