Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford
The cathedral of Oxford, Eng. Christ Church Cathedral, in the English university town of Oxford is the Bishop of the Diocese of Oxford Church of the Church of England and also the Church of the venerable Christ Church College, with which it is structurally connected. The Anglo-Norman in the basic inventory basilica was built from about 1170 as an Augustinian Canons Church and received at the time of Perpendicular its present form.
Church and Monastery deemed founded by the holy Frideswida in the 8th century, whose patronage they also contributed later. According to the legend Frideswida the Convention was first a convent, but was then converted into an Augustinian Canons before the Norman Conquest in a collegiate in the 12th century.
From the predecessors of today's church is not obtain. This was built in the last quarter of the 12th century as a pilgrimage church for the relics of the holy shrine Frideswida who had great popularity. Of the offerings of the pilgrims, including well-known as Catherine of Aragon in 1518, the church was further enlarged in the following centuries and embellished.
1524 sparked Cardinal Thomas Wolsey with papal approval, the pen on and erected in its place a great college for the University of Oxford. However, for the planned demolition of the church in favor of a smaller new building, there was not. Instead, Henry VIII raised them after the separation of the English Church from Rome to the cathedral of the new 1546 he founded the diocese of Oxford. Since then she has the name Christchurch.
With the work of John Taverner, the church was a center of choral and organ music.
1825 John Henry Newman received the Anglican ordination here.
1870 led George Gilbert Scott by engaging in the building fabric restoration.
Architecture and Facilities
The cathedral consists of a nave and two aisles, vierjochigen nave and just such a chorus. Between the two runs a narrow transept. About the transept stands a mighty square crossing tower, whose lower floors are still norman. At the Cathedral several side chapels, the cloister and chapter house are added.
The interior of the cathedral is dominated by the late -Gothic vaults and the large rose window in the east wall. It contains numerous, some important tombs from different periods. The stained glass windows date from the 14th century. It is located in the Thomas Becket window below.
The organ was built in 1979 by the organ builder Rieger ( Austria ). The instrument has 43 registers, four manuals and pedal. The organ case stems largely from the year 1680. The positive housing was created in the 19th century.