Chrysler K platform
Chrysler K platform of the 1980s is one of the most consistent and versatile modular systems in automotive history.
The K -cars in the narrow sense included with the model year 1981 Dodge Aries appeared, Plymouth Reliant and Chrysler LeBaron the successor models for the rear-drive Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare and Chrysler LeBaron the first. Because of the front drive these models were very spacious and could thus be considered as competitors of the rear-engined Chevrolet Malibu and Ford Fairmont and its sister models. The U.S. authorities that define the categories of vehicles as interior volume, the compact K -Cars expecting actually to the middle class models.
On the part slightly modified technique of this original K -Cars built in the wake of numerous other models of the Chrysler Group, which are listed below.
Last representatives of K -platform models was the 1995 Chrysler LeBaron convertible set.
All versions of the K- and the derived platforms in common was the basic design with rigid rear axle, suspension strut front axle and front wheel drive. On engines exclusively aspirated and turbocharged versions of Chrysler's own 2.2 came in these models - and 2.5 -liter inline four- cylinder or supplied supplied by Mitsubishi 2.6 - liter four- cylinder and 3.0 -liter V6 used, coupled with four-or five-speed transmissions, but usually with Chrysler's three common TorqueFlite or later Ultra - Drive four-speed automatic.
According to reports, the K platform should go back to an incident Iacoccas Lee, who had already proposed such a modular system to his time as Ford's chief shortly before his release; it was there but refused.
List of K -cars and related models ( the annual figures relate to the model, not the calendar years ):
- K -Cars 1981-1989 Dodge Aries ( Chrysler Dodge Aries K also known as the K -Cars were sometimes advertised as a whole )
- 1981-1989 Plymouth Reliant (also Plymouth Reliant K called )
- 1982-1988 Chrysler LeBaron ( coupes and convertibles on the original K- platform were produced until 1987 )
- 1982-1988 Chrysler Town and Country
- 1982-1983 Dodge 400
- 1983-1986 Chrysler Executive
- 1984-1986 Dodge 600 coupe and cabriolet
- Chrysler K -Cars and related vehicles
Dodge Caravan first-generation facelift
Dodge Daytona Shelby 1990
Chrysler New Yorker 1993
- Plymouth ( automobile manufacturers )