Life and work
Jackson began at the age of sixteen as a clarinetist, but soon moved to bass and joined from 1939 on with the big bands of Raymond Scott Jan Savitt and Henry Busse. He toured from 1941 to 1943 with Charlie Barnet and then joined Woody Herman's first band. After the dissolution of Herman's First Herd in 1947, he played with Charlie Ventura Septet and undertook with his own band, a Scandinavian tour.
After another collaboration with Herman 1948-49 he headed an own big band, went back to 1951 with Ventura and Bill Harris founded with another band. In the 1950s he worked primarily as a studio musician and then entered several children's television shows on ( Little Rascals Show, 1959-61; Looney Tunes Show or The Chubby Jackson Show 1962-63 ).
2000 Jackson was inducted into the Big Band and Jazz Hall of Fame. His son Duffy Jackson became known as a jazz drummer.
- Chubby Jackson All Star Big Band with Gerry Mulligan, Tony Aless, Don Lamond, Howard McGhee, Charlie Kennedy, Al Porcino, Georgie Auld, Don Ferrara, JJ Johnson, Zoot Sims, Kai Winding, 1950
- Chubby Jackson, 1951
- Chuby 's Back, 1957
- I'm Entitled to You, 1957
- Chubby Takes Over with Bob Brookmeyer, Sam Most, Marty Napoleon, Frank Rehak, Ernie Royal, Nick Travis, Don Lamond, Al Cohn, Danny Bank, Bill Elton, Joe Ferrante, Bernie Glow, Dick Hixson, Marky Markowitz, Sam Marowitz, Pete Mondello, Tom Mitchell Jr., 1958
- Jazz Then Till Now, 1958
- The Big Three, 1958
- Twist Calling 1962
- Lucky 7 with Nat Adderley, Arnett Cobb, Dolphe Castellano, Duffy Jackson, Frank Rosolino, Vinnie Tanno, 1981
- Needing You, Wanting You, 1990
- Live at the Swiss Chalet with Nat Adderley, Arnett Cobb, Pete Minger, Jay Corre, Duffy Jackson, Frank Rosolino, Vinnie Tanno, Danny Turner (recorded 1978 ), 1998