Church of Panaghia Kapnikarea
The Kapnikarea Church (Greek Εκκλησία της Παναγίας Καπνικαρέας ) is a medium Byzantine domed cruciform church from the 11th century in Athens. It is dedicated to the Mother of God, and is situated on a place at Ermou street.
The church was built on the foundations of an ancient temple. The name probably derives from the name or profession of the founder ( ' Kapnikaris ', the tax collector for tobacco). It is characterized by the heart-shaped foliage on the capitals of the columns at the windows. 1834 the demolition of the church was provided, but Ludwig of Bavaria was his son Otto, the king of Greece, convinced of the art historical significance of the church. A reconstruction elsewhere was considered. Ultimately, was created around the church, the Hermes Street ( Ermou ).