The site covers about 162 km ². It is located about 25 km northeast of Grosseto and about 100 km south of Florence, between the Val d' Orcia and the valley of the Ombrone. He belongs to the vineyards of Montecucco. The place is part of the Comunità montana dell'Amiata Grossetano and is located in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone D, 1972 GG. The village lies on the rivers Ombrone (12 km in urban areas ) and Orcia (4 km in urban areas ).
At its districts include Borgo Santa Rita (102 meters altitude), Castiglioncello Bandini (606 m), Monticello Amiata ( 734 m, with about 400 inhabitants of the largest district ), Poggi del Sasso ( 349 m), Porrona (254 m) and Sasso d ' Ombrone (160 m).
Cinigiano emerged in the 12th century around the medieval castle ( cassero ) of the wall remains are still to be found today. The area was under the authority of Bernardino di Cinigiano, a vassal of the Count Aldobrandeschi family. 1254 submitted to the dominion of Siena. At the end of the 14th century Cinigiano belonged to the territory of the Counts Guidi, who were in power until 1404. Then again took over the Republic of Siena. After the defeat of the Sienese Republic in 1555 against the Republic of Florence, the city fell to the Duchy of Tuscany as well ( such as Siena ). Leopold II changed in 1766 the provincial membership of the place which was no longer part of the province of Siena, but the province of Grosseto was attributed and remained there even after the unification of Italy. From 1861 to 1936, the city experienced a population increase of about 3,500 residents to about 5400 inhabitants. After that, the population went back to about 2650 people in 2011.
- Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo, first mentioned in 1276 in the village church. Was considerably enlarged and restored in 1976, 1598. Contains the works Crocifissione con i Dolenti, San Marco Evangelista, San Francesco e un santo guerriero martire of Francesco Vanni (1601 arose ) and Madonna con il Bambino (also called Madonna delle Grazie, in 1693 originated ) by Daniele Lunati.
- Chiesa della Madonna delle Nevi, church just outside the historic city walls, built in the 13th century. Was restored from 1967 to 1969 and contains frescoes from the 15th century.
- Oratorio della Compagnia di San Sebastiano church in the village, which was built in the late 16th century. If the work contains Santi Sigismondo martire e Anthony Abbot invocano che la protezione Madonna col Bambino e San Giuseppe ( 17th century, unknown artists Senese ).
- Clocktower, clock tower in the center, which was built in the 19th century over the lacerated, dating from the Middle Ages, Palazzo Civico.
- Cappella di Santa Marta, built before 1640 chapel, the already mentioned 1188 Pieve di Sant'Ippolito a Martura replaced and took over their function.
- Porrona Castle ( district Porrona ), castle of the 13th century, which was under the control of Siena has always been and later became the home of the Senese families Piccolomini and Tolomei. Guccio Tolomei di Rinaldo was documented here in 1298 as Podestà. In 1377 the fort in attacks by Bretons and gas Cognen was heavily damaged. The palazzo dates from 1504 and was built by Antonio Piccolomini Todeschini.
- Castello di Vicarello, located about 10 km west of Cinigiano fort, which was first mentioned in writing in 1221. 1438 was part of the Republic of Siena.
- Castiglion del Torto, also called Castiglioncello di Stribugliano, castle in the village of Castiglioncello Bandini. Was built by the Aldobrandeschi, then came into the possession of the Abbey of San Galgano and belonged to Siena later.
- Chiesa di San Donato ( Porrona ), already in 1287 documented church. Once belonged to the Abbey Sant 'Antimo. Contains the works of San Nicola in trono con angeli e Donatori by Giovanni dal Ponte (Giovanni di Marco) and Madonna con il Bambino in trono fra San Donato vescovo e San Rocco by Girolamo di Benvenuto.
- Chiesa del Madonnino, church from the 17th century, just outside of Castiglioncello Bandini.
- Chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo ( Monticello Amiata ), Church in the historic center of the district, church from the 13th century, which was substantially changed in the 19th century. Contains the works of San Carlo Borromeo in preghiera of Rutilio Manetti ( canvas painting, 1600 originated ) and Madonna with Child in trono contornata because angeli ed adorata dai Santi Lorenzo ed Anthony Abbot by Bartolomeo Neroni ( built around 1535).
- Chiesa di San Nicola Church in the historic center of Castiglioncello Bandini. Contains a Reliquensammlung from the 17th and 18th centuries.
- Colle Massari, Castle 5 km west of Cinigiano. Next was owned by the Abbey of San Galgano and later came under the control of Siena.
- Oratorio della Compagnia di San Sebastiano ( Monticello Amiata ) Church just outside the village from the 16th century. If the work contains Madonna with Child in San Nicola da Tolentino con gloria e Sant'Agostino by Domenico Manetti ( canvas painting, dating back to 1650).
- Santuario della Madonna di Val di Prata, Santuarium just outside of Monticello Amiata was first mentioned in 1218 and rebuilt from 1847 to 1865 by Pietro Martinelli. Contains the work of Madonna del Carmine, Santa Teresa d' Avila, Santa Teresa d' Ungheria, San Filippo Neri e Sant'Elena by Giuseppe Nicola Nasini.
- Torre di Scudellano, watchtower ruins near the river Melacce about 8 km southwest of Cinigiano at 168 m. Was mentioned in writing in the 11th century.