Cnemidophorus murinus, the type species
Cnemidophorus is a genus of small to medium-sized lizard of the South and Central American lizards of the rail family ( Teiidae ). As the members of the genus Aspidoscelis they are called racing lizards, in the English language as " whiptail lizards " or "race runners ".
Cnemidophorus species are small to medium, often colorful lizards and achieve relatively head-body length of 10 to a maximum of 15.9 cm ( Cnemidophorus murinus ). Her pupils are kidney-shaped. The teeth in the posterior maxilla and mandible are flattened tricuspid and sides. Cnemidophorus species are the only rail lizards in which the males possess a single pair of Präanalsporen and opens onto the trunk ( proximal ) section of hemipenis is covered with short papillae. Females of the genus can be distinguished from all other rail lizards by the following combination of features: The first Supraciliaria (part of the head scalation ) long, with straight ventral margins, the nostrils are almost triangular to nearly round, five regulare parietals ( Scheitelbeschuppung ), smooth Ventralia ( " belly scales " ) and continuous rows of serrated scales on all five toes.
The Reptile Database lists 18 currently ( February 2014 ) to the genus Cnemidophorus calculated species. They are assigned to four morphologically distinct groups at Harvey.
- Cnemidophorus lemniscatus group; Central America, northern South America and central, Trinidad, Tobago, Aruba, San Andrés, Providencia and Santa Catalina. Cnemidophorus arenivagus brand Zich, Cole & Dessauer, 1997
- Cnemidophorus arubensis Lidth De Jeude, 1887
- Cnemidophorus Cryptus Cole & Dessauer, 1993
- Cnemidophorus duellmani McCranie & Hedges, 2013
- Cnemidophorus flavissimus Ugueto, Harvey & Rivas, 2010
- Cnemidophorus gramivagus McCrystal & Dixon, 1987
- Tüpfelrennechse ( Cnemidophorus lemniscatus (Linnaeus, 1758) )
- Cnemidophorus martyris Stejneger, 1891
- Cnemidophorus pseudolemniscatus Cole & Dessauer, 1993
- Cnemidophorus pyrrhogularis Basto Da Silva & Ávila - Pires, 2013
- Cnemidophorus ruatanus Barbour, 1928
- Cnemidophorus senectus Ugueto, Harvey & Rivas, 2010
- Cnemidophorus murinus ( Laurenti, 1768)
- Cnemidophorus ruthveni Burt, 1935
- Cnemidophorus leucopsammus Ugueto & Harvey, 2010 Cnemidophorus vanzoi
- Cnemidophorus nigricolor Peters, 1873
- Cnemidophorus rostralis Ugueto & Harvey, 2010
- Cnemidophorus vanzoi ( Baskin & Williams, 1966)