Codex Aureus of St. Emmeram

The Codex Aureus of St. Emmeram is a Carolingian illuminated manuscript, which was built around 870 in Reims in the court school of Charles the Bald.

Construction and content

The Gospel Book was written by the monks Liuthard and Beringer. Seven full-page miniatures show the four evangelists, a throne picture of Charles the Bald, the Adoration of the Lamb and a Maiestas Domini. In addition, the book decorations from twelve canon tables, ten embellished initial and Incipitseiten and numerous initials. The text is written in golden uncials, each page is framed. The codex comprises 126 parchment leaves, its size is 420 × 330 mm.

It is not known, the place where the manuscript was created because you do not know where the court school has moved to the destruction of the monastery of St. Martin 853, but it was probably settled in Paris in St. Denis.

Sources of the 11th century, according to the handwriting of Emperor Arnulf 893 the monastery of Saint Emmeram in Regensburg has been paid under the Abbot-Bishop Tuto. In the course of secularization she came in 1811 in the Bavarian State Library in Munich ( Clm 14000 ).

Decision of the Supreme Court "Codex Aureus "

In a judgment of 5 November 1930, the First Civil Division of the Supreme Court dealt with the rights right to quote the example of the removal of an image ( Charles the Bald on the throne ) of a photographic facsimile of the Codex Aureus in a textbook. The admissibility of the withdrawal was denied because it does not adequately serve the explanation of the content: ". , The connection between written work and image must be one inward, the presentation and teaching purpose of the word text supporting" Today 's true the prevailing doctrine of the premise of the decision that the underlying reproduction photography is protected, but no longer.


Portrait of Abbot Ramwoldus