Colwood, British Columbia
Colwood is a city at the southern end of Vancouver Iceland in British Columbia, Canada. The city is part of the metropolitan region of Greater Victoria, the Capital Regional District, which still includes several other places.
Colwood itself consists of several districts ( neighborhoods ):
- Belmont Park
- Colwood Corners
- Esquimalt Lagoon
- Hatley Park
- Royal Roads
- Triangle Mountain
- Royal Bay
- Latoria Walk
With its southeastern neighborhoods, the town abuts the Juan de Fuca Strait.
Colwood is the southernmost city in Canada, but not the southernmost municipality or district.
Colwood was originally one of four large farms, which were founded in the 1850s by the Hudson 's Bay Company to supply the ever-increasing population of their trading post Fort Victoria.
In 1851 Edward E Langford reached the colony. He had been appointed by a subsidiary of the Hudson 's Bay Company, the Puget Sound Agricultural Company for farm managers. His family had in Sussex, England a country house by the name of Colwood. Therefore he named the farm now that. His wife later brought the first white male child born in the colony.
1860 then the Lighthouse Fisgard Lighthouse was built on a promontory. This was followed in 1863, near the farm, a sawmill. Then in 1874 the first school house was built, and a post office was opened in 1881 in Colwood. As of 1890, the Fort Rodd Hill was built to protect the nearby port of Esquimalt.
In 1906, then James Dunsmuir, British Columbia Lieutenant-Governor had built his residence Hatley Castle.
In the city of Colwood there is therefore more significant for the Canadian story buildings, which now belong to the National Historic Site of Canada. These include Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Site and Fort Rodd Hill National Historic Site and Hatley Park National Historic Site
The census in 2011 showed a population of 16,093 inhabitants for the city. The city's population has thereby increased from 2006 by 9.6 % compared to the census, which is above the average for the entire province of British Columbia, where the population grew only by 7.0 % at the same time.
Colwood is one school district # 62 Sooke. In the city, there are different schools, six elementary schools, one middle school, at the time but no high school.
Also in Colwood is public Royal Roads University.
The granting of the status of a city (incorporated as the City) and the local self-government related took place on 24 June 1985.
Mayor of the municipality is Carol Hamilton. Together with six other citizens, it forms the Council of the Town ( council).
Like the neighboring community of View Royal also Colwwod is more or less completely surrounded by other municipalities. Again, the trade is the dominant industry. However, a large proportion of the workforce is employed in the public administration and health care. While many employees live in the city but work in the surrounding communities.
The average income of employees of Colwood in 2005 was far above average C $ 32.538, while at the same time the average for the entire province of British Columbia was only C $ 24 867.
In the east-west direction of the Highway 14 runs through the city.
The city has to get to, no airport, but is just about the airports in the surrounding communities, especially those of Victoria.