The Paris Conciergerie is located in the west of the Île de la Cité in the 1st arrondissement. It belongs to the building complex Palais de la Cité, the latest parts are used as the Palace of Justice, and is open to the public since 1914.
On the grounds of the Ile de la Cité, the heart piece of medieval Paris, was since the 9th century, the residence of the ruler of the Ile de France or France, Odo of Paris resided here and Hugh Capet taught here the royal administration ( curia regis) a.
In 1358 it came under the uprising of jacquerie to attack by Étienne Marcel and his followers at the Palais de la Cité. As a consequence of this attack, and apparently did not ensure safety left the royal family, the palace, Charles V left it partially to the Parlement, which his justice housed here - and still working in the (newer) Palais de Justice within the complex today.
Other parts of the former palace building became the seat of the royal administrator, a concierge, from which the modern name of a part of the building complex is derived.
Even before, but especially during the French Revolution, the Conciergerie served as a prison and housed up to 1,200 prisoners. From April 2, 1793 to May 31, 1795 there, the meetings of the Revolutionary Tribunal were held, during which some 2,700 people were sentenced to death, with the public prosecutor ( accusateur Public) Fouquier- Tinville played a major role. Among the famous prisoners included Marie Antoinette, Marie -Jeanne du Barry, François Ravaillac, Georges Danton and Maximilien de Robespierre. After the restoration of the Conciergerie continued to be used as a prison, at times there was Napoleon III. imprisoned.