Constantin Floros (Greek Κωνσταντίνος Φλώρος, Konstantinos Floros, born January 4, 1930 in Thessaloniki ) is a Greek- German musicologist.
A study of musicology, art history, philosophy and psychology as well as composition and conducting at the University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna. This was followed in Vienna 1955 on the topic Antonio campioni as an instrumental composer promotion and 1961, the Habilitation. 1967 to 1995 he was professor of musicology at the University of Hamburg. He was awarded an honorary doctorate from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Constantin Floros, professor emeritus of musicology at the University of Hamburg, deciphered the oldest Byzantine and Slavic notations, dismissed the Byzantine origin of Gregorian chant notation gradually developed a method of semantic analysis of music, which he exemplified in numerous works by various composers.
The focus of his research are the music of the Middle Ages and the 18th to 20th century. Among the 30 books published by him to find monographs on Beethoven's Eroica, about Johannes Brahms ( three volumes ), Anton Bruckner, Tchaikovsky, Gustav Mahler ( four volumes), Alban Berg (two volumes) and György Ligeti.
His publications continued to include the three-volume Universale Neumenkunde (Kassel 1970) and among others, the books music as a message ( Wiesbaden 1989), Man, love and Music ( 2000), New ears for new music (Mainz 2006), and listening and understand. The language of music and its interpretation (Mainz 2008).
Some of his books have been translated into several languages.
He is a member of the Academy of Sciences in Erfurt, the European Academy of Sciences and Arts, Honorary President of the Gustav Mahler Hamburg Association, honorary member of several institutions and several honorary doctorates.
In March 2010, he gave the International Gustav Mahler Society in honor of his contributions to the work of Gustav Mahler Gustav Mahler the Gold Medal.
Constantin Floros lives in Hamburg.
- Universal Neumenkunde. Volume 1:. Decipherment of the oldest Byzantine neumatic notations and the Old Slavonic a semantic notation Barenreiter, Kassel, 1970 The modal system of Byzantine church music. Contributions to the History of the Byzantine church seal.
- Universal Neumenkunde. Volume 2: origin and interpretation of the Latin neumes Barenreiter, Kassel, 1970, contributions to teaching character and rhythm of Gregorian chant. . The Byzantine origin of the Latin Dodekaechos.
- Universal Neumenkunde. Volume 3: The Byzantine, Slavic and Gregorian clay figures and formulas Barenreiter, Kassel, 1970 documentation..
- Gustav Mahler I. The spiritual world of Gustav Mahler in a systematic presentation, Wiesbaden: Breitkopf, 1977;
- Gustav Mahler Mahler II and the symphonies of the 19th century in a new interpretation. At the foundation of a contemporary musical Exegetik, Wiesbaden: Breitkopf 1977
- Gustav Mahler III. The symphonies, Wiesbaden: Breitkopf in 1985 and often; English edition in 1993; Japanese edition of 2005.
- Beethoven's Eroica and Prometheus Music, subject studies, Wilhelmshaven: Heinrichshofen, 1978; second, extended edition, 2008.
- Mozart Studies I. Mozart's symphonies, operas and church music ", Wiesbaden: Breitkopf 1979.
- Introduction to Neumenkunde, Wilhelmshaven: Heinrichshofen 1980; second enlarged edition 2000; Greek edition: Salonica, 1998; English edition: Warren / Michigan 2005; Bulgarian Issue: Sofia 2006.
- Johannes Brahms. Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op 73, pocket score. Introduction and analysis. Original edition, Munich / Mainz: Goldmann / Schott, 1984; Reprint of the introduction and analysis: Johannes Brahms. The symphonies, ed. by G. Schubert, C. Floros and CM Schmidt, Mainz: Schott 1999, pp. 75-138.
- Music as a message, Wiesbaden: Breitkopf 1989.
- Alban Berg. Music as autobiography, Wiesbaden / Leipzig / Paris: Breitkopf 1992 Alban Berg and Hanna Fuchs. . Letters and studies. First editions (Austrian music magazine Special), Vienna: UE 1995.
- György Ligeti. Beyond avant-garde and post modernity, Vienna: Lafite 1996.
- Johannes Brahms. " Free, but lonely," A Life for a poetic music. Zurich / Hamburg: ark 1997, ISBN 3-7160-3900-4. English edition, London: 2010.
- Gustav Mahler. Visionary and despot, Portrait of a personality. Zurich / Hamburg: Ark 1998 Greek edition, Athens: ., 2010.
- Man, love and music, Zurich / Hamburg: Ark 2000; Greek edition: Athens 2003; 2nd edition, Athens 2006; English edition: Humanism, Love and Music, New York: Peter Lang, 2011.
- Alban Berg and Hanna Fuchs. A Love Story in Letters, Zurich / Hamburg: Ark 2001; Spanish edition: Madrid 2005; English edition: Bloomington, 2007.
- Anton Bruckner. Personality and work, Hamburg: European Publishing Company 2004 English edition:. Anton Bruckner. The Man and his Work, Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2011.
- Gustav Mahler and the Opera Publisher. Gustav Mahler Association, Hamburg 2005, ISBN 978-3-7160-3904-5 Volume 2
- New ears for new music. Forays into the music of the 20th and 21st century, Mainz: Schott 2006.
- Peter I. Tchaikovsky, Reinbek: Rowohlt 2006.
- Listening and understanding. The language of music and its interpretation, Mainz: Schott 2008.
- The Origins of Russian music. Introduction to the Kondakarian notation, Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2009.
- Gustav Mahler, Munich: H. C. Beck 2010.
- The Origins of Western Notation, New York: Peter Lang, 2011.
- Gustav Mahler. Visionary and despot. Portrait of a personality, Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main 2012
- Beethoven 's Eroica, Thematic Studies, Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main 2013
- New Ears for new music, Peter Lang, New York 2013
- Gustav Mahler and the Symphony of 19th Century, Peter Lang, New York 2014
- Alban Berg. Music as Autobiography, Peter Lang, New York 2014
- Music culture history. Festschrift for Constantin Floros 60th anniversary ed. by Peter Petersen, Breitkopf, Wiesbaden 1990
- Music as Life program. Festschrift for Constantin Floros 's 70th birthday ed. by Gottfried warriors and Matthias Spindler, Lang, Frankfurt am Main, inter alia, 2000 ISBN 978-3-6313-5406-3