Coronado National Memorial
IUCN Category V - Protected Landscape / Seascape
The Coronado National Memorial, in Sierra Vista, reminiscent of the first expedition of conquistador Francisco Vásquez de Coronado in the American Southwest. In a natural setting on the border with Mexico, the memorial out to the connections between the United States and Mexico.
The emergence of the memorial
Official statements suggest that it was originally intended as a gesture of good will and cooperation between the United States and Mexico, presented by the expedition in 1540 recognition.
The area was named first on August 18, 1941 Coronado International Memorial. This was done in the hope that on the Mexican side the corresponding counterpart would arise, as is the case with the Waterton - Glacier International Peace Park between the United States and Canada. Although there has been interest on the part of the Mexican government, the memorial was never built. Therefore, the Congress amended on 9 July 1952, the designation in National Memorial. The memorial was opened by Harry S. Truman on 5 November 1952. Like most historical sites it is managed by the National Park Service. The National Memorial was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.