The municipality covers 41 km ². The municipality is situated approximately 38 km north-east of Perugia, on the border with the Marche region in the climatic classification of Italian communities in the zone E, 2403 GR / G.
The place is close to the Monte Cucco ( 1566 meters altitude) on the historic Via Flaminia and today Strada Statale 3 Via Flaminia and is part of the Comunità montana the Alto Chiascio.
Among the districts ( Frazioni ) Costa include San Savino ( 599 meters altitude, about 140 inhabitants, located about 5 km north of the capital ) and Villa Col de ' Canali (559 meters altitude, about 250 inhabitants, located about 2 km north of the capital ).
The former Roman Castrum Costacciarii station was acquired in the 13th century of Gubbio. With the first of Gubbio in 1384 came to the family of Montefeltro who were close to the Count of Urbino. From 1508 to 1631 the family of Della Rovere ruled the area, after which it became part of the Papal States. The fortifications were built in the late 15th century by Francesco di Giorgio.
At the time lived the unification of Italy in 1861 there were about 2150 inhabitants in the town. By 1921, population growth took place at about 3600 inhabitants, then, the population fell steadily to about 1300 inhabitants in 2010.
- Chiesa di San Francesco, church from the 13th century.
- Rocca del cassero, also called Rocca di Costacciaro or Rivellino, ruined fortress, which was expanded in 1477 by Francesco di Giorgio.
- Torre Civica, tower of the 13th century.