County of London
The County of London was from 1889 to 1965 an administrative county and ceremonial county in England. It comprised the central part of today's Greater London and was administered by the London County Council. In the north and west it bordered on Middlesex, on the northeast by Essex, on the southeast by Kent and in the south Surrey.
Although the county was created in 1889 by the Local Government Act 1888, the territory had already been established in 1855 with the Metropolis Management Act 1855. The area was known as the metropolis and was administered by a variety of communities and judicial districts, the deputies sent to the Metropolitan Board of Works ( MBW ). The MBW was responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads, bridges and other infrastructure projects.
Made was the County of London from areas that were previously in the counties of Middlesex, Surrey and Kent. This corresponds to the present Inner London with the districts of Camden, Greenwich, Hackney, Hammersmith and Fulham, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Lambeth, Lewisham, Southwark, Tower Hamlets, Wandsworth and Westminster. Not for the County of London was the City of London as a merger did not materialize.
The city council was called London County Council ( LCC) and took over from her scandal-ridden predecessor MBW. In contrast to the representatives of the MBW the LCC representatives were elected by the people. The London Government Act divided in 1900, the territory of the County of London in 28 municipalities ( metropolitan boroughs ). These formed the second stage of the administration and replaced the previously existing municipalities and jurisdictions.
In 1965, the approximately five times larger administrative area of Greater London has been formed, consisting of the County of London itself, the entire rest of Middlesex and parts of the counties of Essex, Kent, Surrey and Hertfordshire. The Greater London Council (GLC ) took over from the LCC.