The Curtiss V -1570 "Conqueror " was a V -12- cylinder aircraft engine of the U.S. manufacturer Curtiss.
The engine was equipped with a propeller reduction gear, liquid-cooled V- 12 engine, which was developed on the basis of the Curtiss D-12. First, the Curtiss V -1550 was made , which, however, was not satisfied. Then this engine was developed for V -1570. The production of the constructed by Arthur Nutt and initially 600 hp payable engine was added in 1926.
Essential for the V -1570 was the possibility of cooling with ethylene glycol. This made it possible to raise the coolant temperature and then to decrease by the larger temperature difference between the cooling air, the cooling surface, which in turn decreased air resistance. In 1927, such engine was first used at the National Air Races and finished - in a Curtiss P-6 built-in - immediately secured a second place. Only after the production variant V 1570-23, however, the Glycolkühlung was ready for.
The engine was among others in the Curtiss A-8, which uses Curtiss B- 2 and the Douglas XB -7 and 1930 should drive the majority of the American military machine. In April, all standing still in use Curtiss P -6 were equipped with a version of the V -1570, who possessed a turbocharger from General Electric.
The engine should also be used in the Tupolev ANT -13. There were negotiations to build this engine in the USSR under license. However, the contracts did not materialize.
Production ended in 1935, were as powerful engines available. It was the last liquid-cooled engine, which was manufactured by Curtiss- Wright.
Technical data ( V 1570-59 )
- Displacement: 25.7 l
- Power: 504 kW ( 686 hp) at 2450/min
- Liters Power: 19.6 kW ( 26.7 hp) / l