Czchów ( German white churches ) is a town in Poland, in Lesser Poland Province.
- 3.1 Structures
- 4.1 traffic
- 5.1 Sons and daughters of the town
- 6.1 External links
- 6.2 footnotes
The city is located in southern Poland, about 50 kilometers north of the border with Slovakia. About a kilometer east of the center of the small river Dunajec.
The earliest recorded mention of today's Czchów is dated to the period 1208-1218. The first mention of a church dating back to 1325. Exactly when the place became a town for the first time, is not backed up, at least Czchów 1333 was mentioned as a town. 1355 confirmed Casimir the Great, the city charter and enlarged it to Magdeburg rights. At this time, there was also a strong immigration German colonists ( Forest German ). 1545 a sewage system was established, which was to remain in operation until May 1987. Under the First Partition of Poland in 1772 Czchów came under Austrian rule. After the First World War, the city lost its city charter in 1928. At the end of World War II marched in January 1945, the Red Army entered the city. To 1 January 2000 Czchów received its town charter granted again.
Culture and sights
- A Gothic church from the year 1346
- Ruins of a castle dating from the 13th/14th. century
The urban and rural community Czchów has an area of 66.47 km ², where about 9,200 people live. Except Czchów include Soltysships Biskupice Melsztyńskie, Będzieszyna, Domosławice, Jurków, Piaski - Drużków, Tworkowa, Tymowa, Wytrzyszczka and Złotą to the community.
Through the city's main road runs from 75 to Nowy Sacz Brzesko. The nearest international airport is John Paul II Kraków-Balice, located about 60 kilometers west of Czchów.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Stanisław Milski (1897-1972), actor and director