Człopa [' ʈ͡ʂwɔpa ] ( German Schloppe ) is a city in Polish West Pomeranian Voivodeship. It belongs to the powiat Walęcki ( circle German crown) and has about 2,400 residents. Człopa is the headquarters of the eponymous city and rural municipality ( gmina ).
- 3.1 Literature
- 3.2 External links
- 3.3 footnotes
Geographical Location and Transport
Through the town, which lies south of the West Pomeranian Voivodeship, Polish country road leads 22 ( former German Reich road 1), providing them with the neighboring cities Wałcz ( German crown) and Strzelce Krajeńskie (peace (Neumark ) ) connects. There is also a connection to the railway line Krzyż Wielkopolski ( Cross ( Eastern Railway ) ) - Wałcz ( German crown). The place is located in a 600 -meter wide and 20 meter high slopes lined bottom, through which the river Dessel ( Cieszynka ) flows. Close by a chain of lakes, which belongs to the westward protracted Kroner Lakeland runs. There is also only about 10 kilometers away Drawa National Park. The city lies at the intersection of the old post road from Berlin to Königsberg with the Polenweg, who continued from Wieleń ( Filehne ) over the networks after Tütz and Kolberg.
Today's Człopa was at a point where I already was a castle wall for a Slavic chief seat beginning of the 11th century. In a written testimony of the Year 1245 patches Schloppe is mentioned for the first time. The city name first appeared on the instrument, by which the noble family von Wedell is used as a feudal lord. Around this time, the current Polish territorial rule was replaced by the Brandenburg Ascanians, but in 1368 left Margrave Otto the lazy Schlopper the country back to Poland. New lords were the Czarnkowskis, robber barons, who started up in the 15th century by Schloppe out raids in the areas of Brandenburg.
The Protestant faith was adopted in 1555 by the majority of citizens Schlopper. However, initiated by the Polish rulers Counter-Reformation tore them 1618, the town church again in favor of the inhabitants remained Catholic. The church fell in 1637 to a city destroyed by fire and was rebuilt only in 1660. By the end of the Polish rule Schloppe was a customs station. 1739 and 1765 large parts of the town were destroyed in new city fires.
Schloppe was a Prussian city by Article V of the Warsaw Treaty of 1773. Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm II acquired in 1791, the city government and gave it to his mistress Countess Lichtenau. He financed the reconstruction of the city, but made the condition that the streets geometric layout and a wider marketplace are built. 1806 Napoleon conquered the city. After the departure of the French in 1814, the property rule was ended; the Schlopper were free citizens. On the market, the Protestant church was built in 1826. With the district reform of 1815 Schloppe was incorporated into the German district crown in the West Prussian government district Marienwerderstraße. From since 1848 rampant in the district cholera epidemic remained Schloppe up on a death largely spared .. Between 1899 and 1904, the narrow-gauge railway lines were built according to the cross, and after German crown, which led such as a sawmill and a machine shop for the settlement of several commercial establishments.
The loss of the provinces of Posen and West Prussia after the First World War meant that many residents of these areas moved to Schloppe. This created the new suburb on the road to the station. From 1922 Schloppe belonged administratively to the newly formed province border Posen- West Prussia, and came to its dissolution in 1938 Pomerania. The city lived mainly from trade and commerce and the cloth making. Nationally known she was the Schlopper markets, notably through its horse markets. From January 29 to February 3, 1945 German and Soviet troops fought around the city. After the capture by the Red Army whose soldiers set fire to the old town, so in the end all that remained was to get the Bahnhofsvorstadt.