Dalry (North Ayrshire)
Dalry (Gaelic: Dail Ruighe ) is a town in the Scottish Unitary Authority North Ayrshire.
Dalry is a small town in the center of North Ayrshire. It lies in the valley of the River Garnock, on the north shore about eleven kilometers north of Irvine and 33 kilometers south-west of Glasgow. Directly north opens the Rye Water and south of the CAAF Water in the Garnock. The nearest towns are Kilwinning in the south and Beith and Kilbirnie in the Northeast.
The name is derived from Gaelic Dalry Dail Righ, meaning " royal lands ". In fact, the lands on which the first houses of the village were built, sooner royal property were. This was also reflected in the still popular location name Croft Angry ( from Gaelic Croftanrigh: "King field") down.
Dalry first spread only slowly. Thus, only six residential buildings were counted in 1700 there. In the course of industrialization, settled successively companies from the textile, iron processing and engineering in Dalry on. In 1800, around 800 people were already living in the locality. Until 1861, the population had quadrupled to 4232. Ninety years later, were still 4024 people in Dalry. After 5857, in 1981 the population dropped again to 5398 in 2001. In the 1980s, a factory for the production of food additives and dyes was opened in Dalry.
Dalry is connected by the A737, which connects Irvine and Paisley to the road network. In the 19th century, the city was connected to the railway network. She possessed with Dalry Dalry Junction and two railway stations, which were served by the Glasgow and South Western Railway along the Dalry and North Johnstone Line and the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. The still in operation Dalry railway station is served by the Ayrshire Coast Line First ScotRail. The Glasgow International Airport is located approximately 26 km north-east.
In the area of Dalry there are two Grade II listed manor houses. Both are sorted into the highest category A Scottish monument. The Blair House located southeast goes back to a tower house dating from the 16th century and has been expanded several times over the centuries. The easternmost Swindridgemuir was probably built to a design by David Hamilton in 1815.