The story Darwens can be traced back to the time of the Anglo-Saxons. The moderene Darwens history does not begin until the early 19th century with the construction of a road in 1797 were made from Bolton to Blackburn. This allowed the residents of the surrounding area to come up with their goods to Darwen in order to sell them. The so- induced growth of the city has been accelerated by the industrial revolution, especially through which colonizing textile industry. 1907 there were 57 mills in Derwen and 8 cotton mills, paper mills, also 10. Today, the textile industry has almost completely disappeared from Darwen. 1877 Borough of Darwen was formed, which went up in Borough of Blackburn in 1974.
Darwen is located in a narrow valley and is named after the river which rises south of the town, named. This river was as derewent ( river where the oaks grow ) was first mentioned in 1208. The city is almost completely surrounded by moors. 1898, the Jubilee Tower was completed on the 60th Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The tower, which is now usually called Darwen Tower, stands on top of the 401 m high Beacon Hill and has a height of 27 m. The inhabitants are called Darwens Darreners. To the visitors of the city include Mahatma Gandhi (1931 ), King George V (1913) and Queen Elizabeth (1968).