The term conversion referred to in the computer science transferring a file from one file format to another using a file converter or the transfer of data in a data format into another. In principle, there are basically three options:
- For example, a conversion of a raster image from TIFF to PNG
- Lossy data compression, thus reducing the data by unnecessary (from the perspective of the end result ) data are omitted. An example is converting an audio file from WAV to MP3.
- The target format is missing the opportunity to present all the information of the source format. An example is the conversion of HTML into a text file in which all the formatting is lost.
- Converting a table from Microsoft Excel XLS to CSV or vice versa
- Conversion of an order of EDIFACT after IDoc or vice versa, see also message mapping