A data sheet (English datasheet ) is issued by the manufacturer of a product and explains a developer who wants to install or use this product as a component in its own product, the exact properties and possible applications of this product. In simple cases, such information is actually fit on a single sheet of paper, in more complicated cases, such as a microprocessor, the scope to an entire book grows.
Manufacturers give the collected data sheets for an entire product family often out in the form of data books.
Specific recommendations for the use of the product, the manufacturers either as a sub-chapter in the data sheet or as a separate application note ( eng. application note ), most profound in the latter case in detail. In the electronics sector, for example, explained here, as can be built with a control circuit, a complete regulated power supply or with another, an analog -to-digital converter.
Datasheets for electronic components
Datasheets for electronic components comprise separate sub chapters typically the following information:
- Manufacturer Name
- Item number and full name
- Picture of the product photo or drawing
- Special properties
- Brief description
- Connection diagram ( e) of the pins
- Absolute minimum and maximum limits (supply voltage, power consumption, input currents, bearings, soldering and operating temperatures, etc.)
- Recommended operating conditions (again with the absolute minimum and maximum values )
- A table of the data DC ( at varying temperatures, supply voltages, input currents, etc.)
- A table of the AC data ( at varying temperatures, supply voltage, frequency, etc.)
- Diagram (s) to Eingangs-/Ausgangs-Signalformen including timing definitions
- Diagram (s ) with the mechanical dimensions, with minimum / typical / maximum dimensions, including contact arrangement
- The test circuit (s)
- Statements for which the product is approved environments, for example in high-security systems of nuclear technology
- Explanations of materials used, particularly by the RoHS Directive
- Recommendations for use as needed filter capacitors, PCB layout etc.
- Recommendations for the circuit environment (see above in application note )
- List of the various housing designs available (with pictures ) and power variations and associated order numbers
Nowadays, data sheets of the manufacturers are often offered freely accessible on the Internet, usually in PDF format.
Consumer electronics products typically have much less electrotechnical data in the data sheet (usually only input and output voltage as well as information on the power consumption in watts).
Data Sheets for other products
Data sheets are not limited to the electronics. For example, there are corresponding documents to mechanical devices or appliances, cars (example), chemicals ( example), infrared films, materials (example).