- Kevin Kline: Dave Kovic / Bill Mitchell
- Sigourney Weaver: Ellen Mitchell
- Frank Langella: Bob Alexander
- Ving Rhames: Duane Stevenson
- Ben Kingsley: Gary Nance
- Charles Grodin: Murray Blum
- Faith Prince: Alice
- Laura Linney: Randi
- Stephen Root: Don Durenberger
Dave is an American comedy film directed by Ivan Reitman from 1993, in which a double of the U.S. president suddenly actually has to take the job. The film stars Kevin Kline and Sigourney Weaver.
The job broker Dave Kovic was hired as a doppelganger of U.S. President William Harrison Mitchell to represent these few hours. Since the President during which suffers a stroke in a tryst with his secretary, chief of staff of the White House, Bob Alexander, and press spokesman Alan Reed develop a plan in which Dave Kovic so long " rule " may, to the Vice President Gary Nance disempowered and Bob Alexander is appointed as the new Vice President. Later, Alexander to assume the office of the President.
However, Dave is increasingly independent, he wants to carry out far-reaching social reforms. He is assisted by his friend Murray Blum and First Lady Ellen Mitchell. Ellen notes that she has more in common with Dave than with their real, unfaithful husband. Gary Nance turns out to be a decent human being, who welcomed the reforms.
Bob Alexander is furious and accuses the president of the public took place years ago, illegal acts. In a speech to Congress Dave admits this, but published evidence that Bob Alexander was involved in criminal activities. It simulates a stroke in the middle of the speech; on the way to the hospital he will be replaced by the real president.
After some time, Bill Mitchell dies in a coma, Gary Nance is sworn in as the new president and promises to continue the reforms. Ellen visited Dave, who is running now for public office in his hometown.
The Frankfurter Rundschau wrote: " The film you can enjoy as a best-seller: Man swallows it and can laugh heartily. You feel good when you leave the cinema, but you do not know why soon. "
The lexicon of international film wrote that the film was "a comedy in the style of the old master Frank Capra, which gives expression to the surfeit of parties and politics." He was " entertaining and full of ironic highlights. "
Munich newspaper described the comedy as " the best in entertainment with intelligence and humor. "
The magazine wrote Cinema, the film was a " masterful mix of fairy tale, romance and comedy," the guest appearances of real politicians and celebrities such as Jay Leno, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Oliver Stone " refine" would. He offers " fun with bite".
In the book " The Chronicle of the movie" the film was described as follows: " " Dave, " is a wonderful comedy of errors which, although quite weightless install their political criticism, thereby however, does not lose its seriousness. " And further: "The quality of the film is especially evident in the playful mood of the ensemble, which is manned great to the supporting roles into it. "
- Profit 1994: ASCAP Film and Television Music Award of the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers for James Newton Howard
- 1994: American Comedy Award for Funniest Charles Grodin as a supporting actor in a feature film
- The Oval Office set was built specifically for the film and later in The American President (1995) and re-used in the television series The West Wing.
- In addition to numerous appearances genuine U.S. politicians like Tip O'Neill, Howard Metzenbaum, Tom Harkin, Alan K. Simpson, Chris Dodd or Paul Simon, the talk show host Larry King, John McLaughlin and Jay Leno and actor Arnold Schwarzenegger interact with. Oliver Stone takes his reputation as a conspiracy theorist for a ride.
- For the male lead initially Warren Beatty and Kevin Costner were provided. But both rejected the offer.
- Jason Reitman, son of director Ivan Reitman and now successfully even in the film business, has a brief appearance as the son of Vice President Nance.
- The name of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Bob Alexander is a nod to Bob Haldeman and Alexander Haig, both chiefs of staff under Nixon.
- In the film, President Mitchell is the 44th President of the United States. At the end of the film Vice President Nance is sworn in as the 45th President of the United States. At the time of the shooting was only in 1993 officiated the 41th ( George Bush) and 42 (Bill Clinton) president.
- The journalist Helen Thomas, who actually reported for 50 years from the White House, has in the film a cameo.
- Some scenes and the overall story of the film is strongly reminiscent of the classic science fiction novel, " Double Star " ( A Double Life in the Cosmos ) by Robert A. Heinlein from the year 1956.