Delerium is a band from Vancouver, Canada that was founded in 1987 as a side project of the electronic band Front Line Assembly. The group experimented with a wide range of musical styles: from dark, spherical ambient sound of the early phase instrumental, ajar to Kraftwerk sound collages to Enigma esquem ethno-pop.
Members / History
Delerium has always been a duo, but Bill Leeb is the only constant member of the band. Leeb was a guest musician and one of the early supporters of the Industrial pioneers Skinny Puppy, which he left in 1984 to start with Michael Balch Front Line Assembly. Delerium followed later as a side project with the first album, Faces, Forms & Illusions. After Balch got out at Front Line Assembly and Delerium, Leeb henceforth worked together with Rhys Fulber; from the collaboration went a series of albums produced both as Front Line Assembly as Delerium. In this period was a gradual change from dark ambient style instead of tanzbarerem ambient pop. After Fulber got off to pursue his own projects, Bill Leeb did with Chris Peterson for the album Poem together. In 2003, however, came to the reunion of Leeb and Fulber and the release of Chimera and 2006 by Nuages Du Monde, its last album by Delerium.
In contrast to the other projects Leeb and his colleagues some guest musicians participated as a singer with Delerium since the release of Semantic Spaces. In most cases, these were female, as Kristy Thirsk, Sarah McLachlan, Leigh Nash (of Sixpence None the Richer ), Lisa Gerrard of Dead Can Dance ( just as a sample ), Jael (of the Swiss band Lunik ), Nerina Pallot, and Jacqui Hunt ( by Single Gun Theory). The only male singer on a Delerium album, except Bill Leeb himself, the pop singer Matthew Sweet was.
Although Front Line Assembly enjoys the highest cult status among the projects of Leeb & Co., Delerium was the most commercially successful. Other projects the group Leeb, Fulber, Peterson and Balch are Conjure One, Equinox, Intermix, Noise Unit, Pro-Tech, synaesthesia, Will and some others.
Up until the release of Semantic Spaces they were in the pop scene relatively unknown. However, a distinct change of style was connected towards a smoother, style similar to the mainstream ethno sound with the change to Nettwerk. Since that time, Delerium also use increasingly vocal with the participation of different female singers and voices.
The commercial success is due in no small part Delerium the ethno - pop song Silence the voice of Sarah McLachlan, with whom she reached the top of the UK charts for electronic music. The piece was played at the Millennium celebrations and other formal occasions and made the sound of Delerium popular.
Albums / EPs
- Faces, Forms & Illusions ( Dossier, 1987) LP / CD
- Morpheus ( Dossier, 1989) LP / CD
- Syrophenikan ( Dossier, 1990) LP / CD
- Stone Tower ( Dossier, 1991) LP / CD
- Euphoric ( Third Mind, 1991), EP / CD
- Spiritual Archives ( Dossier, 1991) LP / CD
- Spheres ( Dossier, 1994) LP / CD
- Spheres 2 ( Dossier, 1994) LP / CD
- Semantic Spaces ( Nettwerk, 1994), CD
- Karma ( Nettwerk, 1997), CD
- Karma ( with bonus CD ) ( Nettwerk, 1997, 1999, 2000), 2CD
- Poem ( Nettwerk, 2000), CD
- Poem ( with bonus CD ) ( Nettwerk, 2000), 2CD
- Chimera ( Nettwerk, 2003), CD
- Chimera ( with bonus CD ) ( Nettwerk, 2003) 2CD
- Nuages Du Monde ( Nettwerk, 10/2006 ) CD
- Music Box Opera ( Nettwerk, 10/2012 ) CD
- Flowers Become Screens ( Nettwerk, 1994), CD
- Incantation ( Nettwerk, 1994) ( Vinyl Maxi )
- Euphoria ( Firefly ) ( Nettwerk, 1997), CD
- Duende ( Nettwerk, 1997), CDS
- Silence ( Nettwerk, 1999, 2000 ), CD
- Heaven's Earth ( Nettwerk, 2000), CD
- Innocente ( Nettwerk, 2001), CD
- Underwater ( Nettwerk, 2002), CD
- After All ( Nettwerk, 2003), CD
- Run For It ( Nettwerk, 2003), CD
- Above the clouds ( Nettwerk, 2003), iTunes Music Store Exclusive
- Truly ( Nettwerk, 2004), CD
- Silence 2004 ( Nettwerk, 2004), CD
- Angelicus ( Nettwerk, 2007), CD
- Monarch ( Nettwerk, 2012), CD & Download
- Reflections I ( Dossier, 1995 ), CD
- Reflections II ( Dossier, 1995 ), CD
- Archives I ( Nettwerk, 2002), 2CD
- Archives II ( Nettwerk, 2002), 2CD
- Odyssey (Remixes ) ( Nettwerk, 2002), 2CD
- The Best Of ( Nettwerk, 2004), CD
- Dance Music Award 2000: in the category " Critics Choice Track" ( Silence )