Deutsches Historisches Museum
The German Historical Museum, DHM short, is a museum of German history in Berlin and sees itself as a place of "enlightenment and understanding about the common history of Germans and Europeans ." It is one of the most visited museums in Berlin.
The museum is located in the armory Unter den Linden in Berlin-Mitte and in the adjacent Exhibition of IM Pei.
The German Historical Museum has the legal form of a carried by the Federal Republic of Germany public foundation. The highest body is occupied with representatives of the Federal Government, the German Parliament and the provincial governments of Trustees.
- 3.1 collection areas
- 6.1 Online database ( GOS) and Picture Archive
- 6.2 LeMO
History of the Museum
The museum was founded on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the city of Berlin on 28 October 1987 in the Reichstag building in what was then West Berlin. After the great success of Prussia exhibition " Prussia - an attempt to balance ", which was shown in 1981 at the Martin- Gropius-Bau, commissioned by the then Mayor of ( West) Berlin, Richard von Weizsäcker, four prominent historians - Hartmut Boockmann, Eberhard Jäckel, Hagen Schulze and Michael Stürmer - to draw up a memorandum that was present German under the title Historical Museum in Berlin in January 1982. The project was strongly supported by Chancellor Helmut Kohl, the establishment of the German Historical Museum (DHM ) in Berlin in his State of the Nation, which he held to the German Bundestag on 27 February 1985, when a national task of European importance designated. A 16 leading historians, art historians and museum directors committee of experts developed 1985/1986 the design for the museum and put them in public hearings in 1986 for discussion. The final version was substantive basis of the founding of the museum. Depict German history in an international context, became the core of the museum task. Multi Perspective perspectives to enable understanding of the views of others so as to reflect the time of the internationalization of everyday life and the globalization of the economy and work, history and culture to a higher level. On September 1, 1986, the Berlin Senate announced that the site of the planned German Historical Museum is to be built next to the Congress Hall. On 28 July 1987, the shareholders' agreement between the Federal Republic of Germany and the State of Berlin was signed establishing the German Historical Museum Society as a temporary sponsorship with limited liability.
Originally, the Spree arch near the Reichstag was to be the site of the museum. The purpose advertised architectural competition won in 1988 by the Italian architect Aldo Rossi. 1989 altered the fall of the Wall but the plans: With the day of German reunification on 3 October 1990, the federal government transferred the DHM collection and grounds of the former museum of German history, in September 1990 by the last GDR government to the Director of DHM was assumed. So was the armory from 1695 - the oldest building on Unter den Linden - the seat of the German Historical Museum. In September 1991, the first exhibitions were shown in the armory.
Shortly after its inception, the DHM began with the formation of a collection. A first cross-section presented in December 1994 the permanent exhibition images and testimonies of German history with more than 2,000 exhibits.
Between 1994 and 1998, the facade of the armory was restored by historical foundations. The armory was closed in 1998 and by 2003 restored by the architectural offices Winfried Brenne. The Schlüterhof, the courtyard with the masks by Andreas Schlüter, received in the course of built between 1998 and 2003 construction of the new exhibition hall by the architect IM Pei back a glass canopy. Since 2003, the new building as an exhibition hall for temporary exhibitions is open with an area of 2700 square meters on four floors. The permanent exhibition of German History in Images and Artefacts in the armory was opened by German Chancellor Angela Merkel on 2 June 2006.
Since 30 December 2008, the DHM has the legal form of a foundation under public law of the covenant. She is also the wearer founded in 2009, Foundation Flight, Expulsion, Reconciliation to set up a memorial and documentation center to flight and expulsion.
Director General of the Museum and President of the Foundation:
In the armory can be seen on 8000 square meters of the permanent exhibition " German History in Images and Testimonials ." More than 8000 historical exhibits convey eventful and exciting 2000 year German history in a European context. The four floors of the exhibition building of I. M. Pei was mainly used for special exhibitions.
The collections of the German Historical Museum
The Zeughauskino with its 165 seats is an integral part of the German Historical Museum, located in the armory. His primary objectives combine historical and film- historical questions about a program, which is characterized next to accompany the exhibition series mainly through thematic retrospectives.
The research library specializing in German and general history as well as to the museum being possesses more than 225,000 volumes, of which 13,000 volumes of rare books, 40,000 volumes magazines and newspapers, 5,000 volumes and 15,000 Militaria museum catalogs. The public reference library located in the administrative building of the museum behind the armory, which belonged in the years 1899 to 1945 the Prussian Central Cooperative checkout and later the GDR state operation Minol.
Online database ( GOS) and Picture Archive
The German Historical Museum provides the most comprehensive object database of all museums in Germany for online research purposes. The database is updated weekly. It contains all the collections of the museum are documented. The database currently contains information on over 500,000 objects and provides for about 70 percent of these objects a digital photo ready.
Reproduction rights for commercial purposes are managed by the picture archive of the DHM, calculates the customary usage fees.
The German Historical Museum operates together with the Museum of the History of the Federal Republic of Germany in Bonn, an extensive Internet presence, called LeMO ( living virtual museum online ), with information on German history from 1871 to the present. Over 30,000 HTML pages, 165,000 pictures, audio and video recordings are available on the web.