40.15480277777819.631963888889166Koordinaten: 40 ° 9 ' N, 19 ° 38' O
Dhërmi ( Albanian: Dhermiu; Greek Drymades Δρυμάδες ) is a village in southern Albania in the Bashkia Himara. The older district lies on the northern Albanian Riviera, high above the coast of the Ionian Sea, while has evolved along the beach a tourist village.
Along with the neighboring village Palasa applies Dhërmi as the northernmost village in Albania with Greek population, which even the majority is here. They speak a local dialect of Greek and Albanian also dominate. The population is mostly Orthodox.
The first settlers of the area of Himara were in ancient times, the Chaonier that were attacked and conquered 214 BC by the Macedonians under Philip V of Macedon. After the fall of the Roman Empire followed eventful years: among the Bulgarians, under the Balšić / Balsha, a short time among the Arabs (Al- Evra ) and later by the Normans. The area - then much more densely populated than it is today - enjoyed a certain independence from the Ottoman central power. 1797 tape Tepedelenli Ali Pasha, the area under his rule a. 1912 Dhërmi became part of the new Albanian state. However, in March 1914, the region declared itself autonomous. In the 1960s, a number of tourist facilities for the communist elite of the country were built. After 1990 the majority of the inhabitants emigrated to Greece.
Tourism and Attractions
In recent years, the tourism infrastructure of Dhërmi has steadily increased, and the number of tourists, especially from the other parts of the country, but also from neighboring countries is growing steadily. It is primarily a beach tourists who appreciate the clear sea. In addition, all roads of Dhërmi were renewed and expanded to Vlora and Saranda.
In Dhërmi there will be 31 churches and monasteries, which are partly equipped with elaborate frescoes. Some can still be visited, although they are sometimes in poor structural condition. Among the most famous St. Mary's Church is one ( Alb. Holy Evangelist MERI ) from the 13th and 14th centuries, the Church of Hypapante ( Ipapandia ) from the 18th century and the Holy Evangelist Stefani with components from different eras.