Diet of Hungary
The Hungarian parliament, from 1867 Hungarian Reichstag, Hungarian Magyar Országgyűlés was the predecessor of today's Hungarian Parliament, the Legislative Assembly of the Kingdom of Hungary until 1918. The Reichstag consisted of two chambers, the magnate panel in which the magnates and the high clergy were seated, and the House of Representatives panel ( gate panel), the House of Representatives to which the counties, districts and cities sent deputies free. The bicameral sat from 1608 through permanently. The Principality of Transylvania to 1865 possessed its own parliament, the Landtag Croatian, the Sabor was held until 1918.
The Diet was since the early Middle Ages a traditional sized meeting, which was held mostly in Pressburg ( Pozsony ), sometimes also other cities like Sopron or Buda. Institutional grasped the Parliament is only since the mid-15th century. From the 1290s - years of the nobility gathered by the royal court days. Since the 14th century were besides the members of the Royal Council also delegates from the counties and cities of refuge at the meetings to negotiate on taxes and military campaigns. The Diet never gathered from himself, but was called by the reigning king or his representative. Until 1526, the nobility was represented at the imperial diets by Messenger. The Diet and its feudal constitution guaranteed Hungary but no self-reliance and independence. Military affairs, foreign trade, customs and foreign affairs were decided after 1526 in the Habsburg Hungary from the imperial central organs. The Diet met at irregular intervals, for example, from September 11th, 1825 to August 28, 1827, 8 September to 20 December 1830 of December 16, 1832 to May 2, 1836 or June 2, 1839 to 13 May 1840.
During the Hungarian Uprising 1848/49 the state legislature was moved to Pest and should be transformed into a modern representation of the people, who should control one's own Hungarian government. On October 3, 1848 King Ferdinand I declared the parliament dissolved by decree for. In the course of the revolution against the Habsburgs came on 14 April 1849 in the Protestant Great Church of Debrecen, the Hungarian Reichstag together, who proclaimed the dethronement of the House of Habsburg- Lorraine, and the independence of Hungary Lajos Kossuth elected as regent. As a result of the suppression of the Hungarian Revolution, the National Assembly was dissolved again.
After the defeat of Austria in the Italian war in 1859 were with the October Diploma of 1860 and February of 1861 the old Constitution of Hungary from the period before 1848, substantially restored and the state legislature for consideration of a new electoral law appointed, that should allow for a representation of all classes. When the National Assembly called the Pragmatic Sanction and the laws of 1848 as a basis for agreement with Vienna and the coronation of Franz Joseph of the reunification of the minor countries with Hungary dependent made , rejected the charge of the Vienna Imperial Council, the Vienna government broke off all further negotiations. " We can wait ," said Prime Minister Anton Schmerling in the hope that Hungary finally the February constitution would add. The Diet was disbanded on 21 August 1861 it was absolutist rule again. On December 14, 1865, Hungarian Reichstag was opened again.
After the Austro-Hungarian Compromise Prime Minister Gyula Andrássy made it known on February 18, 1867 in the state parliament to restore the Hungarian Constitution of 1848, with only minor modifications. On 27 February 1867, Parliament was officially reinstated.
As products in Hungary now acted no longer one of the crown lands of Austria, who had in 1861 get a parliament, but an existing since 1861 Austrian parliament, now only responsible for Cisleithania, their equivalent legislative body, the former Hungarian parliament Reichstag has now been named. Confusion with the Cisleithanian Parliament were not possible, since the term Reichstag had been used only 1848/1849 in Austria.
Austria - Hungary
The name of the Hungarian Parliament was not uniform and even contradictory. From the common Hungarian-Croatian Reichstag Once was mentioned, then again only the Hungarian Reichstag. 1868-1870 appeared to adopt the laws as the common Hungarian-Croatian parliament adopted. From 1871, it was just more "Hungarian Reichstag ," though he still was a joint body between the two countries and decided in this capacity, common laws. The Croatian parliament was given according to the Hungarian- Croatian compensation only in the area of worship and education sectors legislative sovereignty.
1875 to the Hungarian crisis in 1905, the Liberal Party founded by Kálmán Tisza always had a majority in the Reichstag. The government Géza Fejervary reigned after the election victory of the opposition in 1905 with the help of the king who prorogued Parliament on several occasions, past the Reichstag. On February 19, 1906 Franz Joseph and Fejervary could occupy the Reichstag by the military Honvéd. 1905/ 06 presented the Independence Party, the largest party since the 1910 election the Liberals again with the newly formed Party of National Work under István Tisza.
1902 drew the Reichstag in the newly built parliament building. By a census suffrage, which allowed only a privileged part of the population to choose - 1913 only 7.7 % of the total population were eligible to vote (or allowed public office ) - was cemented with the help of the Reichstag the reactionary structure of the multinational state Hungary.