Digital Asset Management ( DAM) is the storage and management of any digital content, especially media files like images, videos, music files and text blocks. In the medial area it is partially as a media asset management (MAM ) or referred to more specifically as a video asset management (VAM ). It belongs to the field of content management systems.
Main functions in the digital asset management system are:
- Import and export of files, possibly with format conversion
- Enrichment of binaries with meta information for research purposes (eg IPTC - NAA - Standard)
- Searching for Files
- Advertisements views ( possibly listen, and watch ) files
- Combine files to packages
- Archiving and versioning of files
Digital Asset Management can be addressed manually or automatically. Some systems are also open to external suppliers or service providers, so that a simple exchange of data in the context of production is faster.
The digital asset management etc. can be assembled out of components, computers, storage systems.
Areas of application
- Music industry, for example, for storing music pieces for further processing
- Printing industry to manage layout, customer logos, images, photos, etc.
- Marketing and press departments in companies of the advertising industry, NGOs etc.
- Press and radio archives
- Information and documentation centers
- Film projects
- CG and animation projects ( 3D Modeling)
- Company or enterprise archives
- Marketing Portals B2B and B2C area