The DKW F8 is a small car with front-wheel drive of the DKW brand that brought the Auto Union in February 1939 as the successor of the model F7 on the market. Like all DKW "Front Car" (proprietary name) of the DKW F8 was built at the Audi plant in Zwickau. Due to the war ended after about 50,000 vehicles built in 1940 or 1942 ( passenger car "Master Class " and Pritschen-/Lieferwagen ) production. The already pre-engineered model should replace the F8 F9, but this was omitted. The almost identical model IFA F8 instead was after the Second World War by the Industry Grouping vehicles of the GDR produced in Zwickau Audi factory.
The changes in appearance were low compared with its predecessor, but the bodies were with the shortened by 1 cm wheelbase is slightly longer and wider. The offer was as far from the simpler and less powerful model " Empire class" and the better-equipped "Master Class ". To drive the already used in F2 master class 701 and front transverse-mounted two-cylinder two -stroke engine ( parallel twin ) served with Schnürle reverse flushing and two overflow channels. The engines contributed to the kingdom class with 0.6 liter displacement and 18 hp at the master class with 0.7 liters of displacement 20 HP (each at 3500 min -1). Compared to its predecessor, the stroke of the 0.6 - liter engine was enlarged to 7.5 mm. Over a three-speed transmission with Krückstockschalthebel the front wheels were driven. Like its predecessor, the DKW F7 typical imitation leather -covered plywood bodies were mounted on a sturdy steel central box frame that have been manufactured in the factory in Berlin -Spandau. The front independent suspension on transverse leaf springs and the rear " floating axis" remained unchanged.
The " front luxury convertible " had a body in wood-steel composite construction, as well as the export models " Super Champion ". Empire class and master class were two-door sedans as, convertible sedans or full convertibles available, the "front luxury convertible " as a two - or four-seat full convertible. In addition, vans and pickups were produced on the basis of the imperial class.
1940 the production of the kingdom class and luxury convertible was discontinued two years later, the Master Class and the van.
- L2 = two-door sedan or convertible sedan
- Cb2 = two-door convertible
- Werner Oswald: German cars from 1920 to 1945. Engine book publishing house, Stuttgart 1996, ISBN 3879435197th