DKW Typ 4=8
The DKW 4 = 8 are cars in the DKW brand with four-cylinder two-stroke V- engine and two charge pumps of the motorcycle factory Zschopauer Motor Works JS Rasmussen ( from the middle of 1932 part of the newly formed Auto Union ) as the successor to the 1929 set small car DKW P 15 PS were prepared. The epithet " 4 = 8" should make it clear that a two-stroke internal combustion engine has a power stroke on every revolution of the crankshaft, while the four-stroke engine only in every second crankshaft revolution a working clock ( clock 3 ) executes. DKW wanted to express effective advertising that their four-cylinder two-stroke engine in the smooth running of an eight-cylinder four-stroke corresponds ( see also DKW 3 = 6). The two-stroke engines were produced by DKW headquarter in Zschopau; the assembly of the vehicles took place at the factory in Berlin-Spandau.
The first model DKW P 25 PS was shown in November 1928 at the Berlin Motor Show, but then made only in a few copies. The 25 hp engine with 1 liter engine drove a three-speed transmission with shift lever in the center of the car the rear wheels. The P has 25 hp with a over its predecessor by 10 cm enlarged to 2.8 m wheelbase as this a self-supporting body made of plywood with leatherette cover. He also took over the two rigid axles with transverse leaf springs. Only the two-door sedan was offered.
After the hoped for by the charging means charge pump low consumption did not occur in two-stroke mixture compared to its predecessor, 1930, the work of the DKW 800 V 4 = 8 reduced to 2.7 meter wheelbase out. However, the smaller engine with 0.8 liter displacement and 20 hp power caused no lower fuel consumption, but only poorer performance. In addition, the engine like all DKW cars provided with Thermosiphonkühlung overheated easily and jumped poorly in cold weather to. The V 800 was available as a two-door convertible sedan or two-door full convertible.
From 1931 we therefore used again the larger 1- liter engine with 25 hp. The model now with hydraulically actuated " oil pressure brake" said DKW V 1000 4 = 8, and was available with two doors sedan, convertible sedan and convertible full until 1932.
The otherwise unchanged car came in March 1932 as DKW special class type 432 with 6 cm longer wheelbase, longer body and four-speed transmission on the market.
In October of the same year of 1001 sparked DKW special class with a further 9 cm enlarged to 2.85 meters wheelbase from the Type 432. The engine delivered a horsepower more and back came the " floating axis" with overhead transverse leaf spring for use. The body was elegant, but neither enduring as that of the predecessor. The solid timber construction soon go by between the axles and some older specimens are to be broken apart even in the middle.
With two " floating axles " followed in February 1934, the DKW Schwebeklasse with streamlined bodywork. From January 1935 the engine developed a second carburetor 30 hp. From July 1935 to the end of production in April 1937 a neukonstruierter engine with 1.05 -liter displacement and 32 hp was installed. The Schwebeklasse was available as a two-door sedan or convertible sedan.
With the engine of the last Schwebeklasse was released in February of 1937 a special class DKW took over the frame and all-steel body of the hiker W24. Thus the problem which forgave end, by hanging, and finally breaking in the middle of wood bodies DKW was finally done. The special class was discontinued in 1940.
A total of eleven years came in from all DKW 4 = 8- models 26,000 copies, of which about 8000 DKW special class with all-steel body.
Technical data for the models P 4 = 8, V 800, V 1000 and 432 special class
Technical data for the models 1001 special class, hover class and special class
- T4 = 4- seater touring car
- L2 = 2 -door sedan
- Cb2 = 2-door convertible
- Werner Oswald: German cars from 1920 to 1945. 10th edition, engine book publishing house, Stuttgart 1996, ISBN 3879435197th