Dolgellau / dɔl'gɛɬaɨ̩ / is a small town in Wales (United Kingdom) in Gwynedd County at the confluence of the Mawddach and Wnion.


Dolgellau is located at the foot of Cadair Idris on the southern edge of the Snowdonia National Park, founded in 1951. Discovery of coins and other relics show that the Romans settled down here and mined for gold. Owain Glyndwr held the last Welsh Assembly here in 1404. The meeting house was demolished and built in 1885 in Newtown in a park again.

In the 17th century, this region has to Dolgellau into a center of emerging Quaker movement, which was founded here in 1657. The farmer Rowland Ellis, a prominent local Quaker, immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1686 along with other. The town of Bryn Mawr named his farm in Wales.

Today's town has its origins in the 12th century. Most people who come into the city, cross the bridge siebenbogige "Y Bont Fawr " ( the big bridge ) over the brook Wnion. It was built originally in 1638, but had to for the railway line that ran from 1868 to 1964 through the city, extended and restored in 1903 due to flood damage suffered. The cityscape Dolgellaus is determined by local granite and slate, and narrow, winding streets connect the different places of the city. The Gothic church of St. Mary was built in 1716 on the foundations of an earlier building dating from the 12th century.

Towards the end of the 19th century Dolgellau was the county capital of Meirionnydd.


As a regional center of the sheep the city's development was closely linked to the wool industry. This branch of industry reached its peak in 1800, but lost with the introduction of mechanical looms quickly its outstanding economic importance. In times in which flourished the production, wool about 10 miles was the Wnion and then the Mawddach transported down to the port of Barmouth. To this day, the annual " Wool Race " to the former importance of this sector.

Another important source of income in Dolgellau was the printing industry since 1800. The first printing press of the town was taken in 1798 in operation.

Middle of the 19th century were reported more gold finds from the area. Then, more than two dozen gold mines on their operation; by 1900 it employed over 500 workers. The gold rush was short-lived, and in the 1920s most mines already fell again; the last gold mine closed in 1935 after a devastating fire. In 1984, the promotion included a trial again pit operation.


The area around Dolgellau is accessible scenic and touristy. Particularly impressive is the massif Cadair Idris in the south of the village with its five peaks; the highest point is 892 m high, Pen-y- Gadair. Idris is a legendary Welsh hero, in whose stories have a magical chair ( Cadair ) occurs; who is sleeping is awakened either as a bard or a madman.

Near the town flows the torrent Clywedog in the Wnion; a varied trail, called the Torrens Walk, leads in this creek with its many small cascades and swirls along.

Not far from Dolgellau are the ruins of Cymer Abbey, a 1199 Prince Cynan ap Gruffydds of Gwynedd and his brother, Prince Maredudd, donated Cistercian monastery. To the few that has been preserved, including the arcade of the church from the 13th century three lancets of the east window, also a piece of the south wall with a Piscina and the remains of the cloister and the refectory.

Granite and slate give the city

Road at Eldon Square, right the former market hall

Cymer Abbey


  • H. E. Conrad: Wales; Prestel Verlag, Munich 1982, ISBN 3-7913-0594-8, p 280