Dorotheenstadt

The Dorotheenstadt is a historic district of the city center in the district of Mitte in the same district, mainly known through the Brandenburg Gate, Pariser Platz and the boulevard Unter den Linden.

Location

The Dorotheenstadt is limited by the Tiergarten in the west, the river Spree in the north, the copper digging in the northeast, the stretch of road behind the Gießhaus - Oberwallstrasse the east and Behrenstraße in the south.

History

1670 gave the Great Elector Friedrich Wilhelm of his second wife Sophie Dorothea of Schleswig -Holstein -Sonderburg- Glücksburg the Berlin situated between the ramparts and the Tiergarten Tiergarten cöllnische Vorwerk. For the first Neustadt area referred to a development plan according to the plans of Joachim Ernst Blesendorf was set with a strictly rectangular street grid, bounded on the north by the George Street and to the east of the Schadowstraße. On January 2, 1674 Neustadt was the electoral city of privilege and in 1681 it was renamed in honor of the Electress Dorothea in Dorotheenstadt. 1687 Dorotheenstädtische church was completed in today's New Town Church Square between Dorothea and Central Street. 1710 Dorothee city was combined with the previously also independent cities of Berlin, Coelln, Friedrichswerder and Friedrichstadt to the " Royal Capital and Residence City of Berlin " and extended later in the 18th century to the River Spree in the north and the Zoological Gardens in the West. In addition to the sterling area and make Unter den Linden has developed since the opening of the Berlin metropolitan railway in 1882 around the Friedrichstrasse station a vibrant city life. The population was 20,144 in 1867 and 11,558 in 1910.

With the law on the formation of a new municipality Berlin ( Greater Berlin Act) Dorotheenstadt 1920 was incorporated into the newly created district of Mitte. After suffering heavy damage during World War II, many historic buildings, including the palace of Prince Henry the ruins of Dorotheenstädtischer church were rebuilt (main building of Humboldt University ), the Staatsoper Unter den Linden and the Old Library in GDR times, however, demolished in 1965. Since reunification, the building of the western Dorotheenstadt around the Pariser Platz was completed again.

Important places and buildings

  • Dorotheenstraße Corner of Charlotte Street: Former stables, site of the first Berlin Observatory
  • 12: Collegium Hungaricum Berlin
  • 24: Former Villa Kamecke
  • 29: Former Market Hall IV
  • 96: Robert Koch Forum
  • University Library (later the Institute of Art History ) at the Friedrich -Wilhelm- University
  • Corner of William Street: Former Pharm / Institute of Physiology, today Viadrina.
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • Embassy of the United States
  • Academy of Arts
  • French Embassy
  • Marschallbrücke
  • Jakob- Kaiser-Haus
  • British Embassy
  • ARD studio
  • Russian Embassy
  • Komische Oper
  • ZDF Berlin studio in Zollernhof
  • Humboldt University
  • State Library
  • Old Library
  • Bebelplatz
  • Staatsoper Unter den Linden
  • Equestrian statue of Frederick the Great
  • New Guard
  • Weidendammer bridge
  • Admiral Palace
  • Friedrichstrasse station
de