E. D. Abbott Ltd
Abbott of Farnham is the name of a former British coachbuilding company based in Farnham Wrecclesham at ( Surrey ).
Edward Dixson Abbott was a naval aviator in World War I, concluded after an apprenticeship at the Wolseley Motor Company and worked afterwards in the styling department, this car manufacturer. It was followed by a job at the coachbuilder Page and Hunt in Farnham, where he most recently held the position of sales manager for the Greater London area.
1929 made the company a voluntary liquidation, and Abbott took the opportunity to become self-employed. In the harsh economic climate of the 1930s lacked the beginning of orders for special bodies for passenger cars. Early work concerned a roadster on the chassis of a Bugatti Type 50 of 1930; the vehicle is preserved. Abbott was busy at this time mainly with trailers, industrial. From 1931 the company exhibited regularly at the motor shows in London. Occupies are automobile bodies for the small car Austin 7, for British Talbot and Daimler, said Abbott benefited his former client contacts at Page and Hunt. Chance also chassis of Rolls -Royce were clothed, such as an elegant Sports Saloon on the chassis of the Phantom III from 1936 ( chassis No. 3AX153 ).
A contract with the Buick importer Lembrun & Hartman secured further work, and after the acquisition of an automobile representation of the brand Armstrong Siddeley also bodies for these chassis were built. For Aston Martin, whose work bodies to date exclusively from the E. Bertelli Ltd.. had been delivered in Faltham, Abbott was an attractive, 2/4-sitziges convertible on the short chassis of the model 15 / / 98 to contribute, which was shown at the motor show in london 1937 erstmalos and cost £ 625. Another, more short-lived client was Atalanta Motors, whose work bodies - Roadster with cut out doors un " motorcycle " front fenders, Convertibles with 2 and 4 seats, a 2- seater coupe and a saloon - all written with Abbott. That was less spectacular than it sounds; there are 1937-1939 only around 20 Atalanta was built, 19 of them with Abbott Construction. About 10 still exist.
After the Second World War, both the number of manufacturers of suitable chassis as well as the demand went back to special bodies. Abbott provided some convertibles ( " Drophead Coupe ") on the chassis of the Bentley Mark VI and very elegant coupe to that of R-Type, which have been mentioned, despite their conspicuous form Two - Door Sports Saloon ( " two-door sports sedan ").
For a client in New Zealand karossierte Abbott 1951-1952 a four -seater version of the Jaguar XK 120 OTS. Although the vehicle the production version looks very similar, the biggest part of the body has been remade.
Another mainstay between 1950 and 1954 was the production of a 2 2- seater " series " cabriolets Healey Abbott on its chassis types B, C and F with Riley -2 ,5- liter four- cylinder engine. The contract Abbott shared with the Tickford Ltd.. in Newport Pagnell, which was responsible for a two-door sedan in the same design. They replaced the Healey types Westland ( Roadster ) and Elliott ( Two Door Saloon ). Abbott built 88 bodies, Tickford 225
Between 1954 and 1956, Abbott for the British luxury car manufacturer Bristol Cars forth 43 copies of a convertible version of the Bristol 405.
The construction of special bodies was abandoned thereafter and Abbott moved to combi conversions for British Ford 1972, the factory was closed.
Bristol 405 Drophead Coupe
Ford Zephyr 213E Estate; Conversion from Abbott
Ford Zodiac 213E Estate