East Kilbride ( Scottish Gaelic: Cille Bhrìghde to Ear) is a town in the Scottish unitary authority of South Lanarkshire. It is the sixth largest city in Scotland and the largest of the Scottish New Towns. 2006, the population was 81,000.
East Kilbride is located approximately 15 km south of Glasgow and 8 km west of Hamilton in an elevated position. To the east of East Kilbride the Rotten Calder River flows north towards the Forth of Clyde.
The place was already inhabited in prehistoric times, as evidenced by finds from the graves kype Water. Nearby there are also finds of Roman coins. The present name of the place is attributed to St. Bride ( the Holy Brigida of Kildare ), who founded the monastery in the 6th century Kildare in Ireland. Later she was also worshiped in Scotland.
For a long time the place was a small village at the beginning of the 20th century. had only 900 inhabitants. The proximity to Glasgow then caused that East Kilbride has become an emerging commuter community. In 1930 the town the status of a Large Burgh and 1947, it eventually became the first New Town in Scotland.
Given the relatively recent development of the city, this presents quite modern and has little old buildings. So dominated in the center a large shopping center, known as The Town Centre and the largest shopping center of Scotland and the tenth-largest in Europe. This center consists of six individual malls: The Plaza (since 1972), Princess Mall ( 1984), Olympia ( 1988), Southgate (1989 ), Princes Square (1997) and Centre West ( 2003). Currently, the center is being expanded to complement an arts and cultural center, which includes a theater with 1,000 seats, a conference center for 500 people and a museum is included. Between East Kilbride and Glasgow is the National Museum of Rural Life.
East Kildare is known for its rugby team, whose home stadium is located in the Calderglen Country Park.
- Denmark Ballerup, Denmark
Living in East Kilbride or were born: