East Lansing, Michigan
East Lansing is a city in the U.S. state of Michigan. The city is located east of the capital, Lansing. Most of the city is located in Ingham County, a small portion lies in Clinton County. According to the census of 2000, there were 46525 residents in East Lansing. The city is the seat of the Michigan State University.
The settlement of East Lansing began around 1847, the year in which the nearby city of Lansing was made the capital. The city was an important crossing of two Indian trails: the Okemah Road, and the Park Lake Trail.
The Michigan State University was founded in 1855 and in 1857 built on the present town area. The first 40 years survived the students and the faculty on the university campus and just a few commuted from Lansing. Around 1890 a tram line was built, which facilitated a growing number of students the journey from Lansing.
1887 founded the professors William J. Beal and Rolla C. Carpenter Collegeville, near the present-day Harrison Road and Beal Street, in the north of Michigan Avenue. Some departments settled there and the first residents were unskilled workers.
At that time, the official postal address Agricultural College, Michigan. In the growing community a school district was established in 1900, in 1907 the city was founded under the name College Park and a short time later renamed East Lansing.
The statutes of the city from 1907 prohibited the possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages. These statutes were repealed in 1968.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has an area of 29.15 km ², of which 0.02 km ² water surface are.
Since 1998, East Lansing has made aggressive use of the 425 Agreement, the Intergovernmental Conditional Transfer Of Property By Contract Act to expand (agreement to transfer of land by contract ) to the city limits. This agreement was concluded with Bath Township, DeWitt Township and the Meridian Township and the city area expanded to several square kilometers. Also, various sports facilities such as golf course Four Winds and the soccer complex was built in the city.
The city center is concentrated around the Grand River Avenue, a wide avenue from the 19th century. The Grand River Avenue divides the city from Michigan State University. On the road, many shops are to be found in the university environment. To the north are the residential areas of the city.
According to the census of 2000, there were 46,525 inhabitants in 14,390 households and 5,094 families. The population density was 1597 per square kilometer.
In 16.1 % of households were living children under the age of 18 and 27.6 % lived in married couples. The average household size was 2.22 and the average family size was 2.82 people.
The average household income was 28 217 U.S. dollars and the average family income was 61,985 dollars. Approximately 11% of families and 34.8 % lived below the poverty line.
- The East Lansing Film Festival is the largest film festival in Michigan, over 100 films will be shown during the five days. The festival takes place every year since 1997 in March. The range of films ranging from independent productions on foreign films, documentaries, shorts and student films. On the last day of the festival called the Lake Michigan Film Competition will be held in which only productions from Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan are shown. There are also exhibitions such as the East Lansing Art Festival and music festivals such as the Great Lakes Folk Festival.
- Eli and Edytha Broad Art Museum: The museum was opened in November 2012 and is intended to show the collection of more than 7,000 objects from the University of Michigan in a constantly changing selection.
The Michigan State Spartans is the sports team of Michigan State University found that, among others, in American football, cross country, basketball, and hockey is active. The football team plays here in the 75,000 -seat Spartan Stadium.