Template: Infobox church in Germany / Maintenance / market

Ebrach is a market in the Upper Franconian district of Bamberg and the seat of the administrative community Ebrach. Ebrach has approximately 1900 inhabitants.

  • 2.1 Amalgamations
  • 2.2 Population development
  • 3.1 Municipal Election 2008
  • 3.2 Municipal Election 2002
  • 3.3 Coat of Arms
  • 3.4 partner communities
  • 3.5 Public bodies
  • 4.1 Attractions
  • 4.2 Regular events
  • 5.1 Economy, agriculture and forestry
  • 5.2 volunteer fire
  • 5.3 breweries
  • 5.4 traffic
  • 5.5 Education
  • 6.1 Sons and daughters of the town
  • 6.2 Persons who are in touch with the community


Geographical Location

Ebrach between Bamberg and Würzburg in the east to the west. It is located in the Steigerwald in the Middle Ebrach. In Ebrach is the former Cistercian monastery Ebrach.

Neighboring communities

Neighboring municipalities are (from north clockwise beginning ) Rauhenebrach ( Lower Franconia ), Burgwindheim ( Upper Franconia ), Hostage wind and Oberschwarzach (both Lower Franconia ).

Community structure

Ebrach is divided into 12 districts (population figures in brackets):

  • Book ( 57)
  • Eberau (130 )
  • Ebrach ( 1107 )
  • Großbirkach (78)
  • Großgressingen (295 )
  • Hof (20 )
  • Kleinbirkach (34)
  • Small Gress Willingen ( 40)
  • Neudorf bei Ebrach (104 )
  • Saint Roch ( 0)
  • Schmerb (4)
  • Winkelhof (6 )

The dairy farm is part of the district Ebrach. There are the following districts: Book, Ebrach, Großbirkach, Großgressingen, Neudorf bei Ebrach.


The name probably comes not from Eber, but perhaps by an ancient tribe vorgermanischen ebr (water ), cognate with Basque ibar ( valley).

Ebrach monastery was founded in 1127 as one of the first rechtsrheinischen Cistercian monasteries by the Frankish noble outdoor Berno and Richwin of Eberau. 1127 relocated twelve monks from the monastery mother Mori Moon. 1200 Abbot Hermann I began the construction of the abbey church, which was completed in 1285. It is 88 meters long and is considered one of the most beautiful monuments of early Gothic architecture. A recently renovated magnificent neo-classical interiors, over 50 windows, 26 altars and on the west portal of a rosette of twelve feet in diameter on the model of Notre Dame in Paris adorn the building. The windows were repainted in 1887. The monastery was dissolved in 1803 in the wake of secularization, the place came through the Reichsdeputationshauptschluss to Bavaria. Ebrach monastery was officially awarded the Imperial immediacy until its repeal. Before 1803 this was always denied having success through the Bishopric of Würzburg. The church has since Catholic Parish of the Assumption. Since 1851, the monastery buildings serve as a prison (now Penitentiary reverb).


On April 1, 1971, the former municipality Neudorf was incorporated in Ebrach. On 1 January 1972 was followed by book, Großbirkach and Großgressingen.

Population Development


Mayor 's Max -Dieter Schneider ( SPD). It was in 2002 successor of Alfonso Keller ( CSU), with 90.84 % of the vote and re-elected 2008 2014 unopposed with 89.42 %.

Municipal Election 2008

The council has 12 members:

  • Ebracher New List 3 seats
  • CSU 3 seats
  • SPD 3 seats
  • CDU Ebrach and surrounding areas 3 seats

The Free voter list is no longer represented.

Municipal Election 2002

The council has 12 members:

  • Ebracher New List 3 seats
  • CSU 3 seats
  • SPD 3 seats
  • CDU Ebrach and surrounding areas 2 seats
  • Free voter list 1 seat

Coat of arms

The Coat of Arms description is: Over red sign foot, in a silver oblique wave beams in gold a bouncing black boar, who holds a silver Abtstab obliquely in its mouth.

Partner communities

  • Rein in Styria
  • George valley in Thuringia

Public institutions

  • Naturbad Acquasana ( opened in 2005 )
  • Gemeindebücherei
  • Wohnmobilstellplatz ( Close to the village )
  • Penitentiary Ebrach

Culture and sights


  • Former abbey garden
  • Parish Ebrach (former Abbey Church )
  • Organs of the parish church: In addition to the large main organ ( concert organ ) on the west gallery with a modern factory in a baroque housing that was built by the Würzburg organ builder Johann Philipp seuffert in 1743, houses the former abbey church in the monks' choir two original baroque choir organs from the workshop of Frankfurt organ builder Johann Christian Köhler. The two instruments are a organological rarity, since the two organists can see each other due to the positioning of the gaming tables. As part of the extensive interior restoration of the church they were expanded and were through to completion in October 2012, carefully restored by the organ builder Klais, supported by the company Hoffmann. On 4 November 2012 she was re-consecrated by the Archbishop of Bamberg.
  • Abbey buildings of the former convent Ebrach
  • St. John's church in Großbirkach

See also: List of monuments in Ebrach

Regular events

  • Ebracher Music Summer
  • Ebracher fair

Economy and infrastructure

Economy, agriculture and forestry

Due to the location in the Steigerwald forest wood is an important economic factor.

It was in 1998 according to official statistics in the field of Agriculture and Forestry 23, 330 in manufacturing and in trade and transport 36 persons work at the workplace. In other areas, were employed to social security at the workplace of 100 people. Social insurance contributions at residence, there were a total of 476 in the manufacturing sector, there was one operation, in construction 1 operation. In addition, in 1999, there were 52 farms with an agricultural area of 1077 hectares, of which 766 were arable land and 310 permanent grassland.

Volunteer fire

Volunteer fire departments are as follows: Ebrach, Book, Großbirkach, Großgressingen and Neudorf (with reverb)


In Ebrach no longer exists brewery. The last brewery was the monastery brewery Wilz, which closed in 1954. Today she lets her beer in the brewing process payroll brew at the brewery Goeller. In the district Großgressingen there was until 1946 the Henkel man brewery.


Ebrach is situated on the main road 22 The railway line in the direction of Bamberg was shut down and dismantled.

Ebrach is connected by several public transport buses with the region and about 35 kilometers from the main center of Bamberg. On the Bamberg train is connected to the German railway network. The regional bus lines 991 ( Ebrach ↔ Bamberg train station) and 999 ( Ebrach ↔ Kleinbirkach ) and 8163 ( Ebrach → Wiesentheid ) end and start in Ebrach. Bus trips to Bamberg take about 50 minutes, which is only 14 km away means Gerolzhofen center in the Lower Franconian neighboring county Schweinfurt is only accessible by public transport with change and not less than 100 minutes driving time.


There are the following facilities (as of 1999):

  • 50 kindergarten places with 36 children
  • Elementary school with 8 teachers and 142 students
  • Steigerwald School ( Staatliche Realschule ) with 35 teachers and 682 students


Sons and daughters of the town

  • Friedrich Deml (* February 15, 1901 in Ebrach, † 1994 in Bamberg), teacher, writer, member of the Bamberg poetry circle.
  • Max Jobst ( born February 9, 1908 has been missing since January 1943 ), German composer
  • Heinrich Aigner (* May 25, 1924, † 24 March 1988), German politician ( CSU), MP, MEP

People who are connected with the community

  • Georg Sperber ( born 1933 in Nuremberg), forest scientists and non-fiction author, lives in Ebrach. He was from 1972 to 1998 Head of the Forestry Department Ebrach.


  • In June 2003, Germany was the stage stop Ebrach Tour